one sink slow draining on a dual vanity after I changed fixtures

Old 03-23-14, 12:17 PM
one sink slow draining on a dual vanity after I changed fixtures

I have a one piece dual vanity, I change out the Starcraft supplied fixtures (house is 9 years old, I bought 5 years ago) with one from Pfister which has a pop up drain plug.

The one drain works just fine, it can take a 1/2 gallon of water and sucks it down quickly. The other worked fine for a couple of weeks then suddenly started to drain slowly. It drains slowly as soon as I start running water. I removed the p-trap, it wasn't clogged, I removed the pvc pipe from it to the wall - it had a little bit of stuff in it but not clogged. I've run some gel type drain clog remover, no help.

Not that this might help but the layout is: you enter bathroom, vanity is on left, sink on the left is slow, sink on right is fine. just past the vanity is the stand up shower which drain fine as well, toilet is across from vanity. I have turned on water and gone out to sewer cleanout, it is flowing fine too. I'm stumped.

thanks,
bob

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-14, 12:36 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I removed the pvc pipe from it to the wall - it had a little bit of stuff in it but not clogged
Usually the clog is just in the wall where the T joins the main drain line. Remove the pipe to the wall and see if it's clogged just beyond normal view.

Old 03-23-14, 02:05 PM
Group Moderator
Try removing the stopper from the problem sink and see if it drains well. I have run into the odd sink that tends to trap an air bubble under the stopper that really kills the drain flow.

Old 03-26-14, 03:10 PM
Sorry, it took a few daze to get back.

I do appreciate all of y'alls input on this, it helped me to locate the problem. I pulled the p-trap off, put a bucket under the drain, ran water and it drained slowly. ah ha, I'm hot on the trail. I unscrewed the drain, pulled it back out, looked clear on the bottom end. I then unscrewed the popup and there it was, the burper was clogged. I used a unclogger but I guess it didn't or couldn't get to it. I cleared it out and it runs like normal.

Many thanks for helping point me to the correct solution.
bob