Proper washing machine drainage

Old 03-26-14, 01:44 PM

Hey guys. First post. Long time lurker of the forum. I just purchased a home and have stumbled upon my newest dilemma which is in regards to the current set up they have for the washing machine drainage. I have attached some pictures. They left the washer and dryer behind when they sold the house to me. Their current set-up is simply a drainage line that exits the back of the washer loops around on the floor and extends vertically about 8 feet and dumps directly into the drainage pipe. I have septic. Any thoughts? It looks inherently wrong to me. I have no experience regarding plumbling. But I just dont see this set-up as being very appropriate from the common sense stand point. I've done a bit of research and hear about standpipes etc, but cannot find any specifics regarding overhead drainage and diagrams. Thanks for any thoughts!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-14, 01:02 PM
Group Moderator
I'm not the plumbing pro so this is just personal opinion.

That's a good question. My sister lives out in the sticks and has a problem septic system in a high water area. Her washing machine dumps into the sump pit and is pumped out far from the house. I'm sure it would be entirely appropriate to connect the washer to the septic but I'm not doing it.

Just remember..... the drain hose must be looped up higher than the water level in the washer or it will start to drain as you are filling it.

Others will stop by and add their opinions.