New house yellow water in bathtub

Old 03-26-14, 01:57 PM
New house yellow water in bathtub

We moved into a brand new house in December and every time I use the bathtub (which is 2-3x per week) yellow water comes out of the faucet. It happens with the col and hot water. I have to let it flush out for a little bit before it goes clear. It is the only place in our house that this happens. Can anyone help me on this? The builder keeps brushing it off saying it's the well water that we have, but if that's the case why only the master bath?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-14, 02:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

Have you had the water tested? It does seem odd that the yellow water would just be at one outlet. Wait and see what some of the others say

Old 03-26-14, 02:32 PM
Is it a rusty-looking yellow?

Old 03-26-14, 02:53 PM
The water was tested a few weeks after moving in by the company that supplies the water for our well. Nothing was ever said.

As far as the color it's a very dark yellow. I've attached a picture, but it's not the greatest...

Attached Images  
Old 03-26-14, 03:05 PM
The water was tested a few weeks after moving in by the company that supplies the water for our well. Nothing was ever said.
A company supplies water for your well? Just does not compute for me.

How does the water get into your house? Do you have a pump? Are you purchasing well water from a water supply company? That would make sense.

RR

Old 03-26-14, 03:10 PM
We have a shared well in our community (which is very small) and water is brought in by a company call Aqua Illinois

Old 03-27-14, 04:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd keep after the builder and MAKE him explain why the water is so discolored at that faucet only! Maybe draw a glass/bottle of water from 2 different spigots to highlight the difference. I'd be inclined to disconnect the faucet to see if the water is clear before the faucet and/or run a few gallons to see if it clears up if it isn't.

Old 03-27-14, 06:11 PM
The most common reason for yellowish/rusty water from only one faucet is that there is a piece of steel pipe in that circuit. With a bathtub, the "lookout" nipple, the nipple the spout fastens on, is sometimes fitted with a steel nipple somewhere downstream of the faucet assembly.

Old 03-27-14, 07:27 PM
Group Moderator
We have a shared well in our community (which is very small) and water is brought in by a company call Aqua Illinois
That doesn't make sense. A well is a hole in the ground that water is pumped out of. It is not a place water is delivered to. Do you mean they have underground storage for water. If so what sort of liner for the storage or is it a tank.

Try running the tub twice a day for a week and see what happens. If it doesn't happen then the pipes would be in question? Do you have copper, galvanized, pex or what. As Furd wrote it could also be a "lookout" nipple.

Old 03-27-14, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator
I would say the brown water is everywhere. Its just that in the tub you see it more..

Fill a white bucket from another tap or outside faucet... Let us know.. Do all the neighbors have it?

Brown water from a well is usually tannins...

Old 03-27-14, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator
This says it better then I can... I would say the same thing. easier to copy and paste... See link at bottom...

Tannins create a light yellow to dark brown discoloration in the water. A simple test for tannins involves filling a clear glass with water and letting it sit overnight. If the color settles to the bottom of the glass, the discoloration is most likely caused by iron and/or manganese and not tannins. If the intensity of the color remains intact, it is most likely caused by tannins.

You may also wish to test for sulfates, alkalinity, iron, total dissolved solids (TDS) and hardness, as these may help determine which treatment method(s) will be most effective for your situation. There is another reason to test for iron along with tannins; iron creates a false positive for tannins and must be subtracted from the tannin result to determine that true tannin concentration.

What can I use to remove Tannins from my water?

Common tannin treatment uses an organic scavenging anion exchange resin such as TANEX. The anion resin is sensitive to hardness, so most systems include a water softener as pretreatment. The water softener extends the life of the anion resin and increases tannin absorption. Anion exchange resin systems should be regenerated occasionally with a baking soda and salt water solution to improve the effectiveness of the resin.

Read more: Tannin Filters, Tannin Filter Systems, Remove tannic acid, color from well water

Old 03-27-14, 08:24 PM
The only place this is showing up is in our master bath. We have 2 additional bath tubs that are white and a large sink in our laundry room that is white and the water is alway clear.

As far as the well part, I have never had a well in my 35 years of living until I moved here so when the builder stated we have a shared well and the water is brought in that is all I know. We don't have to maintain it on our own. We have a whole separate building in our subdivision for the well. It's approx the size of a 1000 sq/ft house. It's maintained by aqua Illinois.

Old 03-27-14, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator
Do the test as described please with the glass of water...

Next how many water heaters are in your home? Is there a seperate unit for the master?

Old 03-27-14, 08:52 PM
Group Moderator
I'll bet if you do Mike's test you find some contamination in all the sources but it doesn't have time to settle out because of frequent use. Might also try running the water for a while through a white coffee filter.

Last edited by ray2047; 03-27-14 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-27-14, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator
If there is a well why are they trucking in water.
Probably an on site well ray and they pump it up to a water tower, or tanks for the development...

But it could be a type of cistern system too. Where water is delivered if there is no well...