Pipe Dope - Air Compressor Fittings

Old 03-26-14, 07:26 PM
Pipe Dope - Air Compressor Fittings

I just bought a new air compressor and I'll be removing the regulator from the tank. There are two 1/4" fittings that need to be removed and I need to pivot the switch/valve combination that connects to the tank in order to remove the regulator. I don't see the familiar white teflon tape or off-white pipe dope I am used to seeing in plumbing applications. Whatever sealant was used is black in color. I want to be sure I don't damage anything when trying to crack these fittings loose. In other words, is there any chance that this black sealant is permanent? I hope it isn't Loctite, which would require heating--something I'm not prepared to do. Should I used teflon tape when reattaching everything or is the liquid dope better? If so, will any type of dope suffice? I have a can of Megaloc Multi-Purpose Thread Sealant (p/n: 15804), which says it's suitable up to 2,600 psi.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-14, 10:22 AM
I'm still waiting to hear back from IR. I'm assuming they use Loctite to seal their threads. The two Loctite products I've found say they allow for easy disassembly so I think I'll go ahead and get out the wrench. I ordered a tube of Loctite 545 to use on the threads when I reassemble everything, and I'll probably use the Megaloc sealant post-filter/regulator for all of the pipe fittings. The Loctite 545 is specifically formulated for pneumatic and hydraulic applications and doesn't contain any filler or particles that can clog filters.

Old 03-27-14, 02:33 PM
I just heard back from Ingersoll Rand. They said they use Loctite 577, which may require heating. Guess I'll be breaking out the torch if the wrench alone doesn't do the job. A few wet rags strategically placed is probably a good idea too in order to protect the painted tank and surrounding parts.

Old 03-27-14, 03:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I've owned dozens of compressors and used to work for a company that sold and installed compressors.
I'll I've ever used was Teflon pipe dope and never had any issues.

Old 03-27-14, 05:39 PM
Just got through removing the regulator. The fittings came apart no problem. The main line going into the switch was barely tight at all and had an oily substance on the threads. The output of the switch/input of the regulator was tighter and had a dried purple substance on it (likely Loctite). I'm good to go now.