Grohe Ladylux - replacing "cap"

Old 03-29-14, 07:23 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grohe Ladylux - replacing "cap"

Full disclosure: I'm not sure which model LadyLux this is. It was installed over a decade ago. In any case, it developed a small leak and I ordered a 46 048 replacement cartridge. The cartridge kit came with multiple size screws and a black plastic ring about the diameter of the cartridge.

I used the screws the same size as the old ones and the old cartridge had the two pieces shown in the diagram below as 46 632. I replaced these two pieces onto the new cartridge. I also took care to use the right plastic "tip" on the cartridge to reaffix the handle.

Now, the problem: The "cap", piece 46 655, came off relatively easily and I was able to get it back on. However, it is "loose" in that it isn't snug against the faucet body and tends to pull away. Being loose, it gets stuck when one rotates the handle from hot to cold.

So, what I don't understand is how to get the cap back on so it stays snug. I can't see what piece I missed or how that would work, unless I need to also replace the 46 632 set and the one piece there doesn't have the spring it used to.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

Name:  Grohe Ladylux cropped.jpg
Views: 4894
Size:  42.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-14, 09:56 AM
Z
Received 22 Votes on 22 Posts
I'm no plumber, to say the least (lol) but

and a black plastic ring about the diameter of the cartridge.
did you figure out what that ring was for?

Old 03-30-14, 07:17 PM
T
Sorry, I should have elaborated a bit on that piece. The single sheet of instructions that came with the cartridge shows the black piece going on the end of the cartridge, where the smaller ring in 46 632 would go. However, the rest of the drawing shows how to attach four different styles of handles, none of which are like the ladylux. that what made me think that the black piece was for using this cartridge with other types of faucets.

Also, since I put back all the pieces that I took off the old cartridge, I expected it to work.

Old 03-31-14, 10:38 AM
Z
Well I don't know whether this would help any, seems like your kit is just a little different - or maybe not?

GROHE - Cartridge 46048 000 - Search result - Search

Old 03-31-14, 05:52 PM
T
Thanks for the reply. That's the part I got. And the "Technical Product Information" at http://cdn08.grohe.com/lib/1/tpi/1767974.pdf is exactly the page that came with it.

Turns out I believe I solved the problem! When re-installing the larger ring in 46 632, I put in in upside down. There's three protrusions, two smaller and one large. I had the larger on the top and it should have been 180 degrees rotated so the larger was at the bottom. Now the cap is back on and it seems to turn around that larger protrusion and stays snug to the main part of the faucet.

We'll see how it holds after a few days use. I'm wondering if I shouldn't have replaced the 46 632 set at the same time given the age of the plastic, but that can be a job for another day.

Old 03-31-14, 06:31 PM
Z
Good to hear tk! Some of these kits leave a little to be desired in terms of instructions. But it seems you got it licked and are all also set to change the 46632 whenever you get to it – if necessary.

(I put a nut in upside down (very easy to do in this case also) when fastening my oil line to my boiler oil burner nozzle line –lol, got a face full of oil spray when I turned it on. Sort of like a Moe, Larry, and Curly job. lol)

Good luck with the LadyLux in the future, seems like you have it under control!