How do I fix this kitchen sink plumbing...

Old 03-31-14, 01:03 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do I fix this kitchen sink plumbing - drum trap...

lower level of a split level house.

Yes that is the main house cleanout towards the septic
No the sink cannot really be moved.
I do not believe AAV are code acceptable in maine. Currently this sink is not vented ( other the main waste line to the left hits the vertical stack and wet vent about 4 feet to the right of the wall)

Is a linear trap like that code acceptable?

If the existing trap is acceptable than to vent it can I just convert the elbow past the trap where it drop into the drain line into a T fitting and pop a line up about 6 inches to just under the counter, then run off to the right to follow the vent stack up?

EDIT:

It appears that I have a drum trap which used to be common in maine, but are no longer to code, however I also see some things to the effect that drum traps did not need to be vented?

Last edited by umtallguy; 03-31-14 at 01:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-14, 07:50 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 128 Votes on 119 Posts
As you've figured out, I don't believe drum traps are allowed any more. That fitting needs to be a combo-wye, and then into a P-trap. It's a bit hard to tell, but you may run into a height issue.... but it may be okay if you use a reasonably shallow sink. Can you measure from the floor to the top of the pipe? And is that PVC or cast iron?

You'll have to add a new vent. You can't use the main sewer vent since you have other fixtures draining into it, which makes it a wet-vent. Some areas allow AAVs and others don't.

Those CPVC pipes need to be better supported as well. You may want to consider replacing those plastic shutoffs with brass valves, plastic valves are known to be of rather poor quality and often break when you need them most.

Old 03-31-14, 08:11 PM
U
yes I would have to parallel the vent up to the attic and join the main stack above the upper floor bathroom, I already need to have one, as there is a washer line in the next room that does not even have a trap.

I am very height restricted. To replace it I think I would have to use a p trap on each drain separately otherwise I would drop to low from the fittings if I brought them together.

Why are drum traps no longer allowed? Is it a real hazard or just a pain to clear? I have seen some discussion because of their size differential they did not need vents originally?

It is pvc, all the water in the house is CPVC, I will probably be replacing it all with PEX, almost all of it is easily accessible (and not supported or strapped at all)

Old 03-31-14, 08:28 PM
U
is there any real reason for not having each line separate?

I suppose I may be able to lose a couple inches in the connectors, and place a P trap in a similar location to the drum trap, but run the line horizontal to the right past existing drop into the main line a ways to avoid creating a S trap? with a vent before the drop into the main line?

or as long as there was a vent for both traps, there should be no issues?

Old 03-31-14, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
IMO forget that whole mess... There is nothing leagal about that.

lower level of a split level house.
Have you figured out how to run a vent?

Do yourself a favor and install a pump.. I am pretty sure then the aav will be allowed...

"Work smarter not harder".....

Liberty Pumps : Drain Pumps

Old 04-01-14, 11:39 AM
U
I can vent it, this is mechancial room behind the wall to the right

(yes that is a washer drain line... with no trap....)
That I will replace with a vertical line to a trap then horizantal to existing connection, and vent it, I can bring a vent line over from the kitchen, and should be able to run a parrallel vent line next to the existing wet stack to the attic and connect back in below the roof.

Old 04-01-14, 12:41 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
(yes that is a washer drain line... with no trap....)
That I will replace with a vertical line to a trap then horizantal to existing connection,
Use a quarter bend (45[SUP]o[/SUP]) to run the line horizontal and THEN place the trap close to the inlet. Use a vertical riser out of the trap for the washing machine drain hose. traps belong at the beginning of the drain, not the connection to the main drain. Use a wye and quarter bend immediately downstream of the trap for the vent.

Old 04-01-14, 02:00 PM
U
Yes, what I have pictuered in my head for the washer right now is something like this

I can just put the hose through the wall where the previous one was into the top of the corrected stack here (or a couple fittings above the sill plate I guess)

Old 04-01-14, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
The vents must be 3ft above the highest flood plane. ( Top of the sink normally... )

( But possibly the top of the washer standpipe. would need to check code on that)

Old 04-02-14, 08:01 AM
U
I can run the washer vent right up to the ceiling that not a problem. Kitchen sink however is limited to about 1.5 feet before it would ahve to go horizontal under the counter. What is the horizontal offset limit on sink venting?