Need Help: Thermostatic Valve

Old 04-02-14, 10:47 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need Help: Thermostatic Valve

For the past few months, I've had to turn the cold water in my bathroom sink on to cold in order for there to be hot water in the shower. When the sink is off, the water in the shower is lukewarm at best.

I am a beginner at understanding how everything works but did search for possible solutions on google prior to posting here. I took the shower device apart and took photos which will hopefully help you understand what I am talking about.

I adjusted the screw in #2 all the way clockwise as far as it could go. I turned the shower on and the water was still lukewarm. I tried taking out #2 by turning #3 clockwise, but the thing wouldn't move and I am afraid to strip the grooves.

Finally, I tried unscrewing #1 a little bit but that did not change a thing. Then I unscrewed #1 all the way out and it just ended creating an opening.

I also have separate shut off valves for the cold and hot water underneath the sink. I turned the cold water off completely, and then turned the shower on. The water was scalding hot. Then I turned cold water shut off valve on very slightly, and that seemed to fix the problem. However, when I turn the cold water on in the sink or shower, there is a very small stream of cold water. Something tells me that this is just a temporary solution and the main problem is within the device that I have pictured in the photos. I think it is called a thermostatic valve.

Is there anything I can do from here to adjust it or does this thing need to be replaced?

Thank you for your help!
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  27.7 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  24.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-14, 04:37 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 128 Votes on 119 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums!

It sounds like your balancing valve is not working as it should be. I'm not much of an expert on these devices, so hang on until one of the other plumbers come around. They'll give you much better information than I'll be able to.

Old 04-04-14, 02:17 PM
M
Thanks! I tried reversing the hot and cold water connections to see what would happen. Now the water stays warm throughout most of the temperature range, and then gets extremely hot very quickly past a certain point.

Old 04-24-14, 08:01 PM
D
They did this repair on Ask This Old house a while ago (at least what I *THINK* you're describing.

Fence Repair, Shower Valve, Old Drills | Ask TOH Episodes | Ask This Old House TV | This Old House

At the bottom of the view window, there is a "Scene Selector". You want scene 4.

Old 04-24-14, 08:08 PM
D
P.S. Be sure to watch the entire scene. He explains how these valves work. Great info.