Washing Machine Drain

Old 04-12-14, 04:33 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Washing Machine Drain

Currently my washing machine drains into sump from a laundry sink. It is lower than the main sewer. There is a lateral about 6' above the top of the washer.

The manual says the discharge height cannot be more than 8' from base of washer.

What would be a typical way to plumb this drain?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-14, 05:42 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 79 Posts
I think your current setup is the best solution. Some have set up a standpipe above the sewer lateral, but it's often questionable whether it's code compliant and can often cause problems if you end up with any sewer line backups.

Why do you want to change your laundry sink/pump setup?

Old 04-12-14, 09:19 AM
C
My reasoning for maybe changing was that I was thinking the pump is getting more of a workout than necessary (soapy water). And since there is outside water going into the sump too I thought it would be best to pipe it outdoors. (local codes aside)

My softner also shares the sump pit in the same way thru the laudry sink, However, piping it outdoors WITH the laundry and water softner opens up a slew of other issues including freezing (where in winter when frozen there would be no runoff in the sump).

And frankly, I didn't know any better and thought this was a hack setup....

Is it standard for basement washing machine to end up in the sump pit?

Old 04-17-14, 11:26 AM
S
I would think the "standard" way of doing this would be for the washing machine to drain into an ejector pit (or into a laundry sink, then into an ejector pit), which would pump the waste up to the level of the main. This is the setup in my house; the laundry, slop sink, bathroom and floor drain all flow to the ejector. The only thing pumping out of the sump pit is/should be ground water.

Since you say the water softener also drains into this pit, are you sure its a sump pit? Sumps will pump to an outside drain or storm sewer system, where ejectors will pump to the waste line.

Old 05-05-14, 10:17 AM
A
Just to let you know my water softener killed my sump pump this way. Salt.

"The only thing pumping out of the sump pit is/should be ground water." = TRUE

I ended up taking the washing machine drain out the house and down the hill. Not an option for everyone but that's what I had to do.