Basement floor drain backing up

Old 03-07-01, 03:59 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

I live in a 1960's rambler. There are 2 floor drains in the basement about 18 feet apart. One of the drains is connected to the laundry and upstairs & basement bathroon and drains OK. The other drain is apparently connected to the kithcen sink (including garbage disposal & dishwasher). This drain is backing up what appears to be black sludge. There is no odor, just this black "goop" with water on the floor. When letting the faucet in the kitchen sink run, this drain backs up. It is now February in Minnesota and I just had both floor drains snaked by a plumbing company in December. Any help out there? The plumber also suggested a drain plug to totally block this drain.

Old 03-07-01, 09:25 PM
Visiting Guest
Just a guess but I think you need to snake the line from the kitchen sink down. It sounds like that line is actually the one clogged up and causes it to back up into the floor drain. Another question does the floor drain have the same behavior?? I would suspect so but Regardless it seems like if you plug the drain where the water is coming up nothing is really solved and the water is still backing up. It will eventually get bad enough the kitchen will not drain.

Old 03-08-01, 06:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Common
Just a guess but I think you need to snake the line from the kitchen sink down. It sounds like that line is actually the one clogged up and causes it to back up into the floor drain. Another question does the floor drain have the same behavior?? I would suspect so but Regardless it seems like if you plug the drain where the water is coming up nothing is really solved and the water is still backing up. It will eventually get bad enough the kitchen will not drain.
I hope I have this right! You say that if I snake the kitchen drain that it will solve the floor drain backing up? So, in other words, the water from the kitchen sink may not be draining fast enough to keep it out of the basement?

Old 03-08-01, 11:45 AM
Visiting Guest
That is exactly what i am saying and it is only a guess because without knowing how the pipe is run it is hard to say. Regardless the issue should be addressed because plugging the floor drain does nothing to attack the real issue.

Old 09-22-01, 10:19 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question basement drain question

Just discovered a puddle around the basement drain where
the air conditioning drains. (a/c and furnace is in basement next to drain).

I want to try clearing the drain but can't seem to remove
the metal grate that covers the pipe.

My question is this just rusted or am I missing something
that is attaching this to the pipe.

Also, what is the best way to remove the clog.
From previous forum posts I think I should get a plumbers
snake.

Thanks,

Ron Emerick

Old 09-22-01, 02:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

There may be two screws holding your basement metal grate drain cover down or it may be screwed in, if you can't find the screws on the top of it.
A plumber's snake should do it, if it isn't roots out in the outside drain line.
Good Luck! Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: