Is it OK to glue CPVC fittings without twisting?

Old 04-25-14, 12:03 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is it OK to glue CPVC fittings without twisting?

I need to do some plumbing with CPVC, and the easiest way for me to join old work to new work would be to glue in an elbow connecting two pipes that are already in place.

My concern is that I have always read to twist CPVC connections when inserting pipe into fittings, and I will not be able to twist the elbow when gluing it to the second pipe. Is it a bad idea to glue CPVC without the twist, or does it not really matter as long as the pipe end is square and clean, the glue is spread evenly, etc?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-14, 12:27 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Votes on 260 Posts
While I'm not a plumber [they'll probably reply later] it's my understanding you should always twist when gluing PVC or CPVC but sometimes that isn't feasible. I don't ever recall having a glue joint fail because I couldn't twist it as I put it together.

Old 04-25-14, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Twisting insures an even coat of glue inside and that you are fully seated, but other than that, I can't imagine why it would fail.

Old 04-25-14, 03:42 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 586 Votes on 540 Posts
In some situations you just can't do the twist. I've found that the twist can help prevent the joint from wanting to creep apart but holding firmly for 30 seconds until it sets a bit takes care of that.

Old 04-25-14, 05:52 PM
Z
Received 13 Votes on 13 Posts
In some situations you just can't do the twist
Don't let Chubby Checker hear that! (lol - yes i'm silly!)

I had the same problem when I did cpvc ahead of my well pressure tank. There was a joint (last joint) I was not able to twist. So I just did what you suggested and held it for a while. Been OK for 1 1/2 years now. So I guess it's OK?

Guess we just have to accept, like you say, there are some situations where you just can't do the twist.