Washing machine drain pipe leaking?

Old 05-03-14, 03:04 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Washing machine drain pipe leaking?

I have a rental and it has a small indoor laundry room with just enough room for a washer and dryer. Typically, the drain for the washer is a pipe that comes out of the wall at a 45 degree angle, and the drain hose fits like a glove into that configuration.

On this home, the drain pipe comes out of the wall and makes an 18" journey along the wall, at the same level as it extends from the wall, parallel to the wall and it uses a 90 degree fitting as it comes out of the wall. On the end of the 18" extension, there is another 90 degree fitting pointed toward the ceiling (so you get the picture). When I look at it, I think the pipe actually is undeveloped, with the final end slightly lower than the height as it extended from the wall.

All that said to pose ths question: I believe when the washer is draining, some of the water is coming out of that 90 degree fitting, since there is no fall or the water, although we are talking about a 2" ABS pipe. I was wondering if it would be better to snake a drain pipe inside the 2" pipe to move the water exit of the washer either closer to the down 90 degree angle at the exit point of the wall or even push a spiral pipe down into that 90 degree fitting so I know the water encounters the drain with a place to fall.

Thoughts, suggestions or do I need to provide more information? Ty -Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-14, 04:32 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Snaking anything inside the existing pipes is not going to improve the water flow. Some pics of the pipes might help.

Old 05-04-14, 08:59 AM
M
I wish I had a pic; I had hoped that long-winded description might help. I am wondering if I took the long pipe off at the 90 as it exits the wall, put a 45 there pointed towards the ceiling, maybe a 3" piece after that, if that would create enough movement. Since I have never seen a washer installed and what the weight of the hose does to the angle of the pipe on this home, I am guessing that is where the water is coming from. I know it's not the water valve nor the washer itself because I tested the valve before the tenants moved in and they purchased a new washer and I noticed the water damage in the area where water would run out of the pipe and down on the wall after the prior tenants departed.

What do you think of the redo the drain pipe idea?

Old 05-04-14, 05:05 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I think that it would have to be redone. I can't say how because I can't see it. I never heard of so many turns, in a washing machine drain pipe.

Old 05-04-14, 06:35 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 79 Posts
I think the horizontal pipe is causing your problems. The standpipe should be vertical for at least 18" (I think 18" is minimum code).

Can you remove the whole horizontal section and drain the washing machine directly into the standpipe? Maybe swap the washer/dryer so it can reach?

Old 05-04-14, 07:34 PM
M
Ok, so I ran a 45 elbow as it exited the wall, and a short length of pipe and a final 45 and I used a pipe strap to take the weight off the end. That fixed it; the water now is not bulking over. To help, I snaked the pipe and cleaned the trap and that made more improvement. Ran several tests and now, the water never starts to get close to the opening. Tenant is happy and so am I.

Old 05-05-14, 06:55 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 79 Posts
Good to hear you fixed it! Thanks for letting us know.