Bathroom stub-out came out?

Old 05-04-14, 08:18 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom stub-out came out?

Hi. I haven't posted here before. I hope you can help. I disassembled the bathroom sink drain pieces -- drain extension, trap, elbow to wall -- to augur. I replaced the pieces with PVC. The nut for the end of the elbow stayed behind on the stub-out. When I tried to unscrew the nut, the whole tube came out instead. It appears that it came out of another pipe.

How bad is this and how is it fixed? Does the wall have to be opened up?

The images below show the pipe left behind in the wall, the shiny metal tube that came out, the distance the tube stuck out when I put it in back (didn't go as far as before), and the washer that stayed behind when the tube came out.

Name:  The pipe inside.jpg
Views: 2092
Size:  30.2 KBName:  The washer I was after.jpg
Views: 2605
Size:  20.6 KBName:  Tube and slot.jpg
Views: 1489
Size:  16.9 KBName:  Stub-out from side.jpg
Views: 1527
Size:  14.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-14, 06:55 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 79 Posts
It looks like the stub-out was just stuck into that pipe and siliconed in? It may have worked, but it's certainly not how it should have been done.

The pipe that's still in the wall, are there any threads on the interior? Can you tell if it's copper or steel?

You may have to remove about 1" of wall around the pipe so you can get a rubber coupling onto it and tightened. I don't think you'll need to remove a whole lot of wall, but it's hard for me to see what exactly that pipe is in the wall.

Old 05-05-14, 07:15 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If there is a closet are other such non critical appearance space on the other side of the wall you might want to cut a 12"x12" access on that side so you can save the tile.

Old 05-05-14, 05:52 PM
W
Received 11 Votes on 9 Posts
Hi, The second picture looks like what one would expect. Remove the nut, clean the threads. The PVC kit you buy will have all the parts you need. The long pipe in the kit has a straight end. Slide one plalstic nut along with a tappered washer (tapper towards the steel pipe) Slide the plastic pipe into the steel pipe and tighten the nut.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 05-05-14, 06:17 PM
J
Better images, but can't tell metal

I dug out around the pipe, and I shone a flashlight down it. No light came out anywhere. I'm still not sure whether it's steel or copper, but I'm pretty sure there's rust inside. It doesn't look like there were threads, except possible two very large ones.

Name:  Side view.jpg
Views: 1253
Size:  23.6 KBName:  Pipe and supports.jpg
Views: 1465
Size:  25.6 KBName:  Shows everything.jpg
Views: 2357
Size:  30.1 KB

Old 05-08-14, 07:01 PM
J
Is rubber coupling a Marvel connector...

Thank you, Zorfdt. The pipe end doesn't appear to have threads. I can't tell which metal the pipe is, but it doesn't look like copper to me. I see what you see in the photos above.

Is the rubber coupling called a Marvel connector, or is it something else? Does it look like this?

Name:  Marvel connector.jpg
Views: 1221
Size:  2.7 KBName:  Marvel connector 2.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  1.9 KB

Old 05-09-14, 04:41 PM
W
Received 11 Votes on 9 Posts
Hi, From looking at the pictures It sure looks like a metal slip nut on the end of the pipe. Just unscrew the nut and you find the threads on the outside of the pipe. I have never seen pipe with threads on the inside. Threads......Pipe on the outside ......Fittings on the inside. I hope you find your problem.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 05-09-14, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Hello... That is just a brass trap adapter.

Remove the outside nut. Use a new nut and new washer when putting the new trap in.

Although this is a different trap adapter, this is how the trap arm slips in with washer shown...