Best, simplest and cheapest way to replace pipe?

Old 05-04-14, 11:59 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Arrow Best, simplest and cheapest way to replace pipe?

Name:  Pipe.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  18.2 KB

Hi,

The photo above is of a drain pipe. The pipe is low volume so much so that I intend to reduce it and bury it.

My problem is that the pipe has an elbow attached to it. I would like to remove the elbow leaving the original pipe onto which I would stick a new elbow. The problem I have is that the product used to glue the two items together is called Tangit and I am told that this cannot be undone.

If anyone has any ideas on who to best approach the problem please let me know. I am not very technical in these things.

Thanks,
Alan

Below is what I've been told and areas of research. I've placed them down here so as to avoid a lengthy question.

I found a couple of videos on youTube describing how one can break them apart effectively heating the inner pipe and then ripping it out with a long nose pliers. The challenge using this method are:
  1. The pip is positioned horizonally not vertically
  2. I am told that pipe cement and Tangit are diferent products.

Someone suggested I open up the area and cut where the elbow is inserted over the pipe. Anyway the new elbow must be placed further in. This sounds very plausible but is there a tool (based on a hacksaw) that allows me to do this without having to break a massive portion of the wall?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-14, 02:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Can you not just cut the vertical pipe to within 2" of the elbow and attach a coupling and new pipe? You probably won't be able to take any of this apart. Is this your condensate drain?

Old 05-05-14, 06:51 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 79 Posts
I wouldn't try to undo any of the connections. Typically a solvent is used, which basically fuses the plastic. It's not like a glue that could be loosened.

I think Larry has the right answer, just cut the vertical pipe, sand the paint off of it, then connect your pipes going onward from that point.

What is this a drain for? Typically reducing the size is not done to pipes, there may be a good reason it's this size.

Old 05-05-14, 06:57 AM
C
Thank you for your replies.

The pipe is used to drain rain water. The amount that will come out is VERY small.

My problem is that I need to cut AFTER the elbow as I could not find an adapter that fits on top of the elbow.

If I go for this route, is there a tool I can purchase that will allow me to perform this cut without having to break a large portion of wall? A standard hacksaw will not fit because the elbow is within the wall cavity.

Old 05-05-14, 08:08 AM
K
If I go for this route, is there a tool I can purchase that will allow me to perform this cut without having to break a large portion of wall? A standard hacksaw will not fit because the elbow is within the wall cavity.

A dremel tool with a cutting wheel would be a good choice for that.

Old 05-05-14, 12:50 PM
C
I think this tool will do the trick.

Thank you Kiton.

Old 05-05-14, 01:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
DOn't try to cut this back in the wall. Cut off the vertical pipe and join a new pipe with a connector, and route it the way you want it. In addition if it carrys rain water, don't reduce it, although you may only think a small amount exits, it may need the full volume at some time.

Old 05-16-14, 04:24 AM
C
Guys,

I wanted to say thank you for your help. The embedded pipe is in place.