Where do I start on basement bathroom plumbing issue?

Old 05-05-14, 09:32 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Where do I start on basement bathroom plumbing issue?

I have a home built in 1999 and I am the second owner. I assume that the basement had the bathroom roughed in during construction. I recently to task to finishing it. I paid a plumber's helper on the side to run the copper and set the toilet, sink and shower. Looks great until we flush the toilet the first time. It immediately backed up into the bowl like the water had nowhere to go. He snaked it for 30' or so and couldn't find a blockage. Fast forward a couple of days and I turned on the sink to test it and let it run for a while. It backed up at the drain by the furnace. Needless to say, I didn't test the shower. I have a septic system if it helps. We have no other plumbing issues in the house. Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-14, 03:55 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
You have no idea if that drain was connected to the cesspool. The project may have been abandoned. Can you see a 4" drain pipe that's used for the rest of the house? If so, you can install an ejector pump.

Old 05-08-14, 04:27 AM
M
I investigated further last night and noticed that no pipes leave the floor and attach to the main pipes leaving the foundation and headed for the septic. There is an area in the back corner of the basement that looks like a sump pump pit that has a sealed lid on top with 2 capped pipes coming out of the top. Could all of the rough in plumbind and floor drains be tied into that? Is this where I should have the ejector pump installed? Would the ground water flow into this as well?

Old 05-08-14, 05:06 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
The ejector pump may already be there. You should see 2 wires there too & an outlet.