Natural Gas Line options in the garage

Old 05-07-14, 09:23 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Natural Gas Line options in the garage

I'm cross posting this as I'm not sure the original forum was where it should have went:

I'm in the infancy of looking for some different options to power a turkey fryer style burner in the vicinity of my attached garage to brew beer with.

Currently I have the burner setup as propane with a standard tank. I have the option of getting burners that are fueled by NG.

I have a T in my garage, where the meter comes into the house that is capped off.

My thoughts: I would like to put a shutoff with a soft style reinforced hose that I could roll out side of my garage, hookup to the fryer, then roll up and put away safely in a corner cubby in my garage as well as turning off the shutoff. This would allow me to not be reliant on having tons of smaller propane tanks around, or having a hard to move larger tank taking up space in the garage.

Is there an option like this available? From what I've read, it doesn't sound like anything like this is possible. What would be my next option? Run hard piping to the edge of the garage doors, then have a hose coming off of that? What's the maximum allowable length of hose? Is the problem with flexible hose the pressure (which I thought was negligable on NG) or with a potential leak in a non metal pipe?

Thanks for your help, I'm not well versed on this. Also, underground is not an option.

Attached picture is what I was thinking.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-14, 01:34 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
If it was my garage I would run black steel piping through the wall and install a listed gas valve outside where I would then connect only the necessary length of listed natural gas hose to reach the burner. Remove the hose when not in use and cap the valve with the proper flare cap. I would never use a flexible hose inside for gas service.

The problem of using a hose is that they are ALL, to a greater or lesser degree, permeable and allow a minute amount of gas through the wall. In most cases this is not even close to a problem but why tempt fate? Hose will also deteriorate with age.