possible leak from frozen outdoor faucet

Old 05-07-14, 09:23 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
possible leak from frozen outdoor faucet

I know the faucet in the front of the house froze because the last time someone used it, I went downstairs and turned the supply on - when my family member turned the water on from outside I could see the water leaking and immediately turned the supply off. So I know I need a freeze proof faucet for the front.

My fear is the the one in the rear of the house is also leaking / had also frozen at some point. Problem is, the supply pipe to the rear faucet doesn't enter the house in an unfinished area. How can I find out if this is leaking without breaking the drywall inside the house?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-14, 12:32 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 439 Posts
There is no way to tell short of turn on the faucet and look for leaks. You can put a hose with a closed sprayer nozzle on that spigot and turn the faucet on. The hose & closed sprayer will allow the spigot to fill with water without having to let it run for an hour. Look for leaks. If there are none then just keep an eye on it. If there is a leak then you'll have to cut the wall board anyhow.

One of the most reliable way to burst a pipe or spigot, especially the frost proof type, is to leave a hose connected during freezing weather. They can usually freeze without damage if the water is allowed to drain away but a hose holds the water in the spigot. It freezes from the outside in, forming a ice plug and as the freezing progresses inwards all the pressure is trapped between the ice plug and closed valve.