My outdoor spigot has an extra opening I can't close? Pics included

Old 05-07-14, 05:33 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My outdoor spigot has an extra opening I can't close? Pics included

So this is my outdoor water spigot. It has this white plastic fitting that has water coming out of it whenever I turn it on. Is there a part I can buy that I can just put in or on there to close the opening, or does the whole spigot need replacing? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks,

Ben

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-14, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
It's missing the vacuum breaker that should go on top. You might be able to buy a new valve and scavenge the parts (if you can find a name/model)...but a better idea would be to replace the whole valve.

Old 05-07-14, 07:15 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
For some reason your pictures are not coming through but most faucets that have internal vacuum breakers also have a repair kit for the vacuum breaker. Check for a manufacturer's name or mark on the body of the faucet and then go to the big box mega-mart homecenter and ask for a rebuild kit. They are more often found in the garden hose/in-ground sprinkler area than in the plumbing area. The cost is usually less than ten dollars and it takes less than ten minutes to install.

If the homecenter doesn't have them then check the local hardware stores and finally a local plumbing supply store.

Old 05-07-14, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Not sure why the pics aren't showing Furd...

Anyway...looks looks this one...How to Fix a Leaky Faucet: Frost-Proof Faucet: The Family Handyman

It's missing the cap on top...are those included in the kit? (Which I didn't even know they had).

Old 05-08-14, 12:56 AM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
I see the pictures now, it could have been my browser as it crashed soon after that post.

Yes, generally the repair kit comes with the cap as well as the two parts of the vacuum breaker valve itself. Sometimes you can just remove the vacuum breaker valve, clean out the spider webs and other crap and reassemble and it will work fine but I have better success just replacing the guts. The cap is not absolutely necessary for proper operation but it does help to keep the crap out of the valve.

I can't tell for certain what brand valve that is but the metal tag inside the handle should have all the necessary information. Here is a video on repairing a Woodford faucet. They are all similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbVWc-vFZ6U