Tried disconnecting my gas stove but couldn't.

Old 05-08-14, 10:55 AM
N
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Tried disconnecting my gas stove but couldn't.

I'm getting some work done in the kitchen and the contractor would prefer I move my gas stove out of the way, though I think they can work around it. Anyhow, to try and accomodate him, I tried disconnecting the gas line where the hose to the stove is threaded onto the supply pipe (I shut off the valve of course) but it is so tight, seems frozen. Even when I used one wrench to hold the coupler or fitting (if that's the right term) in place, while trying to twist off the connection at the hose, the supply pipe (black pipe with the valve that goes up through the floor) gave way a little and loosened counter-clockwise instead of where I tried disconnecting it. You think I did more harm then good? I went to the basement where this supply pipe goes down through the floor and connects to the gas line beneath the floor and sniffed for gas right at that joint but didn't smell any. I noticed when I had a professional change the fitting when he originally installed the stove, the supply pipe gave way a little as well, and he just tightened it back, only putting sealant or tape at the fitting and where the hose was screwed to the fitting. I was a little worried maybe I loosened the compound sealant at the black pipe since that was the only thing that gave way. I thought I could do it myself given how simple it looked but those connections were damn tight. Any suggestions? I suppose most of you will tell me to have a pro do it ($200-$300 for 10 minutes work max) but I'm sure some of you have done this yourself right?

Last edited by ngrome; 05-08-14 at 11:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-14, 11:34 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Bigger wrench for the flare nut and have a helper hold the the valve with an even bigger wrench. That tight I d want to use a flare nut wrench and a pipe over it to give more leverage. Or use a breakover bar and a flare nut attachment (right image)

Edit: Just reread: You wrote:
the hose to the stove is threaded onto the supply pipe (I shut off the valve of course)
The connector should go on the valve and the valve be behind the stove. My answer was based on that assumption. If that isn't true Mike or Tom will have to say if that meets code. Regardless a helper and wrench on what ever the flare nut is screwed on.

Name:  10-27022007-124061L.gif
Views: 555
Size:  15.9 KB Name:  875-1082.eps.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  6.7 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 05-08-14 at 11:53 AM.