Washer Drain into shower stall

Old 05-08-14, 11:42 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Washer Drain into shower stall

Hey guys. I have a quick plumbing question. I am moving a small washer and dryer stacked unit (Maytag SE1000) upstairs to a closet so my wife doesnt have to go down two flights of stairs all the time doing laundry. (currently in basement) I have all my electric figured out and going in tonight. I have I just re puttied the shower drain and replaced all the pipe under the stall shower after a leak. Then I replaced all the rock in the kitchen that had to get pulled out to fix the leak. Its all brand new 2" drain. I dont want to open the ceiling up again to put in a wye and more 2" pipe to the closet.

I am thinking about cutting a small hole in the shower stall surround. Install a 90* elbow to point the water flow down in the shower then have a stand pipe on the other side. The shower has all new 2 inch drain with trap and vent so it can handle the washer. Then when the bathroom gets redone in 4-5 years I will plumb it all in properly.

Your thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-14, 03:25 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
That's certainly a unique idea. It's probably against code. Where does the "new 2" drain" end? Is it connected to old piping before it gets, to the main drain?

Old 05-09-14, 06:52 AM
B
Def. against code. I am aware of that and not worried about it. Its a 1830's farm house that the previous owner, who was a flower child named Trip, had anyone how would do work for beer work on the house ... Anyways

The new 2 inch drain is tied into a 3 inch drain for the rest of the bathroom that then runs down to the main sewer drain.

Old 05-09-14, 01:55 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It's the 3" pipe that you have to watch. A washer sends water into the drain a lot faster than the shower does. The 3" may not be able to take all that water in one shot.

Old 05-09-14, 07:12 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
A 3 inch drain has at least twice the capacity of a 2 inch drain. 2 inch is the requirement for a washing machine drain so as long as the 3 inch is clear there should be minimal problem as long as the containment area of the shower is large enough. What material is the 3 inch drain and approximately how old? What material and size is the main drain the 3 inch empties into and how old? How high is the curb of the shower and the area of the shower base?

Old 05-10-14, 05:00 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It's the condition of the 3" that matters, IMO.