running gas lines project

Old 05-09-14, 07:30 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
running gas lines project

I need to run a couple of lines from my 120 gallon LP house tank to a gas cooktop and an outdoor grill.

For gas lines, would I use Mueller Streamline 1/2-in Dia x 60-ft L Coil Copper Pipe for this? Cerro 1/2" x 10' Type L Copper Pipe? Or something else?

I think it would make the most sense to have a t splitter outside to run the one line from cooktop to tank and the other to the outdoor gas grill.

Grill is already designed for LP, and I'll convert the cooktop to LP.

I'm not sure what shut off valve I need or if Lowes had it. Someone tried to explain to me it's a standard valve that's "flared" fitting for gas lines, but I can't find anything with that clear description in Lowes inventory. Lowes has a great deal for the type L copper pipes so I'd like to get everything else from them too. Plus it's somewhere I can get to quickly and not have to deal with extra shipping expenses, delays, or traveling further to get materials, from, say, Home Depot. So hopefully Lowes has everything I need.

Other item I'm not sure about besides the shut off valves (one for grill and one for cooktop) is what product I need to use for a proper t splitter in this case. Would 1/2-in x 1/2-in x 1/2-in Copper Slip Tee Fitting work here?

Thanks in advance!

-Ray

Last edited by rayrox222; 05-09-14 at 08:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-14, 09:06 AM
D
Compression fittings are not used with gas lines. You need flair type. What pressure is your feed line? A gas shutoff is rated for a max pressure and if outdoors needs that rating also. Half inch pipe may be to small depending on pressure, length and BTU requirements.

Old 05-09-14, 09:18 AM
R
Thank you for the reply! I spoke to a service rep with Amerigas who was explaining to me the materials used in this project. All I know is that he said flare fitting half inch OD type L copper tubing would work. I don't know the difference between flare and compression fittings. Are Lowes items I'm seeing only compression and they simply don't sell what I need?

Also, how do I figure out the pressure of the feed line? My outdoor grill will be outdoors and the cooktop shutoff...hmm hadn't thought about maybe putting it outdoors too. Would that be safer than say, underneath the cabinet just under it (could get to it faster then).

The fact the service rep from Amerigas said half inch OD leads me to believe it's safe to work with. The cooktop in question is this product:

Shop Whirlpool 30-in 4-Burner Gas Cooktop (Black) at Lowes.com

Burner #1 Max BTU 10500.0
Burner #1 Type Standard
Burner #2 Max BTU 9100.0
Burner #2 Type Standard
Burner #3 Max BTU 5000.0
Burner #3 Type Simmer
Burner #4 Max BTU 9100.0
Burner #4 Type Standard

I'm on hold with Lowes support now to see if they have what I need, and I just learned their measurements when they say half inch, it's INSIDE diameter, so you're right, the models I listed from Lowes are too small. I need half inch OUTSIDE diameter...

Thanks again!

Last edited by rayrox222; 05-09-14 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-09-14, 12:54 PM
D
Compression fittings have a brass ring that installs over your tubing. As you clamp down on the fitting that ring compresses on the outside of your tubing. The flair fitting you need a tool to flair the pipe into an inverted cone shape.

Does your tank have a RED regulator on it? That would be a 10 PSI line.
A GREEN regulator would be an 11" WC line.

Old 05-12-14, 08:20 AM
R
The regulator appears to be black *shrugs* only thing green I see on the whole house tank is the lid you open up to see the valve, meter to see how much gas is in it, and regulator are all showing underneath the lid of the tank. Nothing red at all on or around the whole thing so I don't know what to tell you! I do know the service rep with Amerigas who checked out the site said half inch outside diameter tubing would work for what I'm trying to do.

As I research this more, I find myself leaning toward CSST "gastite" tubing over copper. Price is comparable, maybe just a little more, but in many ways simply better than copper tubing. I like you can run it hiding within the ceiling whereas the copper tubing can't do that for safety reasons as I understand it.

Question is with gastite CSST tubing, say I got 1/2 In Coil Csst Hose, could that run into a bronze "Watts 1/2-in x 1/2-in x 1/2-in Threaded Tee Fitting" and I could use a 1/2-in Bronze Female In-Line Ball Valve as the shut off valve; just run the CSST tubing through those from cooktop to tank and out the other end of the tee fit to the grill?

And once again, thank you for your help!