Replacing old galvanize water lines

Old 05-10-14, 12:42 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing old galvanize water lines

I fixing to replace galvanize water lines from water meter through entire house. What I want to do is come from meter with 1" pvc pipe and reduce down to 3/4" at start of crawl space and use the 3/4" on all long runs and then reduce to 1/2" for running up to fixtures.will this give me more water pressure inside of house or do I need to use the 1" from meter to house and 1/2" for runs and up to fixtures.The galvanize pipe I'm replacing is over 50 years old.Thanks for your help

Old 05-10-14, 03:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The 1" from the meter into the house and reduce to 3/4" is good as well as waiting to reduce to 1/2" as you turn up. Pressure is pressure no matter what size pipe you use. It is the volume of water that you will be concerned with. As long as you are reducing in size as you go, the volume and pressure should be fine. You won't feel the reduction in pressure nor hot water at the shower for instance when someone flushes the toilet with that set up. What will you be replacing the galvanized with? I recommend PEX if you have the option. CPVC would be the next option.

Old 05-10-14, 04:22 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I second Chandler's recommendation for PEX over PVC. My house has 3/4" trunk lines and 1/2" going to each fixture I there is no pressure drop in the shower when a toilet is flushed.

Old 05-12-14, 10:27 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I'll throw in another vote for PEX over PVC/CPVC. A bit of an investment in the tools up front, but well worth it for the speed and reliability of installation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: