Leak in copper water main

Old 05-10-14, 07:48 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leak in copper water main

Noticed the area where my main water line coming in from the floor of the basement was saturated. I ran my hand down the pipe and felt where the moisture started (arrow in picture.) Since the source of the leak is above ground, is there something i can do to fix it myself or should i call someone who does this everday? Thanks!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-14, 08:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 148 Votes on 132 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

It looks like there is a coupling from a repair before. It might be tough to get a good solder joint with what you have left. You might want to call around and find a plumber that uses copper crimp on fittings. (NOT talking shark bite fittings here) No solder needed and can be installed with water in the pipe.

Old 05-10-14, 09:09 PM
J
Thanks for the welcoming! Do most plumbers do this type of repair on the main line or will they try to suggest another route. I'm just trying to gather enough info to see what options i have.

Old 05-11-14, 06:12 AM
Group Moderator
I'm not sure what other route there would be. I do know it is not a good idea to have concrete in contact with the copper. Are you sure it is leaking at the coupling and not seeping from below the concrete?

Yes, most plumbers can do this type of repair. The method they would use to make the repair may vary. The crimp on fittings I mentioned requires specialized tools so all plumbers might not use them.

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 05-11-14 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-11-14, 07:22 AM
J
I've dried both areas and came back a couple of hours later and the moisture began at the same spot (which was the coupling.) So I'm pretty sure it's not coming up through the concrete. Thanks for the replies, I'll be calling someone tomorrow!

Old 05-11-14, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
IMO I would have it repaired properly. First off that clamp should be removed. May not be brass. Dont remove it now or you may have a leak from there..

I would jack hammer that small bit of slab up. Get down the where the pipe is in the dirt and replace from down there. I would then sleeve it then re-cement.

Add a valve closer to the floor also...I would also add a tee with a boiler drain above the new valve so the home can be drained down properly...

Last edited by lawrosa; 05-11-14 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-11-14, 11:45 AM
J
Will they try to sell me the idea of replacing the whole line? I don't know how long I'll be in this house, probably at least 5 more years though.

Old 05-11-14, 01:11 PM
Group Moderator
I see no reason to replace the whole line if it is in good shape. However, you might be buying the 10' length of pipe anyway.