brass to pex?

Old 05-13-14, 08:01 AM
F
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
brass to pex?

hi all, thanks in advance for your input. I'm planning to take out an old pedestal bath sink and put in a new vanity in its place. the current supply lines to the pedestal sink are 1/2in brass, with pretty old-school shut-offs (see photo). I don't think i'll be able to keep these brass lines as-is with the new vanity. Ideally, i'd like to cut them off near the floor and use pex from there. just not sure if it's possible... any advice???

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-14, 09:33 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 439 Posts
When you say PEX do you mean PEX tubing or do you mean flexible hoses to connect to the faucet?

You can cut off your existing pipes. Measure and drill the proper holes in the bottom of your new vanity and lower it down over the pipes. Then use a compression shutoff valve on your existing piping then use flexible up to the fixture.

If you are considering re-plumbing your house with PEX then this would be a good time to start by ripping out as much of the old piping as you want. Then re-plumb with PEX and run the PEX up into the bottom of the vanity. Crimp on shutoff valves and use flexible to connect the fixture.

For flexible lines I prefer the stainless braided type. Be warned that some big box home centers sell ones that look very similar to stainless steel but use a gray plastic braid in which case I'd rather go with the less expensive white reinforced hose type.

Old 05-13-14, 10:02 AM
F
PD, thanks for the reply. I had meant PEX tubing, but happy to skip that if it makes the job easier.

If i cut off my existing pipes, I'll then have 1/2in brass piping sticking straight up from the floor *without* a threaded end. Is there a shutoff valve that does not require a threaded end? can you send a link to such a product? thanks!

Old 05-13-14, 10:23 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 439 Posts
Yes, there are shutoff valves with a compression fitting. Your pipes are likely chrome plated copper and if you go to your home center, plumbing supplier or shop online for "compression shut off valve" you'll find what you need. You'll probably need 1/2" compression (the hole in the will be about 5/8") to 3/8" compression outlet.

On the 1/2" end you'll remove the nut & ferrule from the shut off valve. Put the nut over the pipe then slide on the ferrule and then the shutoff valve. Hold the valve to prevent it from turning while you tighten the nut. This will squeeze the ferrule down onto the pipe forming a water tight seal. Tighten it pretty hard, but not so hard that you might break the fitting (I know... really specific).

When using the flexible braided hoses to connect to your faucet you'll throw away the nut and ferrule on the 3/8" end and your flexible hose will screw right to the shutoff valve. Tighten it snug but not very hard, not much more than hand tight will usually do.

Old 05-13-14, 10:36 AM
F
excellent. thanks again. is there an easy way to determine what material the pipes you see in my photo are made of? chrome plated copper or brass? would i be correct to assume that if they are indeed chrome plated copper, then i can use sharkbite fittings there if i have to?

Old 05-13-14, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
I dont think they are brass risers. Probably steel.

Your best bet is to turn them out and replace with copper. ( They like to corrode and break from where that are threaded in...)

Crawl? Basement?

Have a look and show use where they go..

Once turned out install a copper mal adapter and sweat a pice of pipeto make the new risers.

Old 05-13-14, 11:20 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Don't forget about sharkbite if you can't find the right compression fits. Also, many of the flexible lines have shut off taps on them as well. I prefer the ball valves on the flexible lines over those older styles taps.