Must I cut this out right away?

Old 05-14-14, 07:47 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Must I cut this out right away?

I was working up a ladder in a very tight spot, I was too slow to get the joint together and could not get it seated all the way. It is water tight, and I know it has to go, but is it safe to leave for 2 weeks until I finish the project and then go back over this again? Or am I risking it popping off?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-14, 04:15 AM
Received 173 Votes on 157 Posts
It would help if you told us what it is. I'm assuming its a water pipe. Will it have pressure in it at all times? Can you put a valve on it up stream to turn it off. How about using gatorbite type fittings. No glue and quick connect.

Old 05-15-14, 05:34 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Norm201
It would help if you told us what it is.
Sorry, it was late and I was dead tired.

It is Uponor (wirsbo) expanded pex cold water line to feed a washing machine on the second floor. There is a shut off valve about 6" below it.

Later I would like to install a manifold on that line just above the shutoff valve and can remove this coupling, but it would be nice to finish the project and tweak it after if it is not at risk of popping.

Old 05-15-14, 06:04 AM
Received 173 Votes on 157 Posts
If somebody will be home at all times then maybe a water alarm would be enough to warn you of a leak or burst. But I would feel a lot better knowing no pressure was in that fitting when not in use. If its just to feed the washing machine then for the next couple weeks go through the trouble of using that valve each time. But I would also watch the fitting as washing machines do not gently allow water but just fully open a valve and a bit of mechanical shock might be enough to jar that fitting. While water is flowing I doubt a leak will take place, but its during the instant of demand that it might break.