Relocating Vent Pipe in Bathroom

Old 05-15-14, 06:53 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Relocating Vent Pipe in Bathroom

Bathroom is 5' wide x 6' deep. Left to right on 5' back wall is a toilet, 4" wall then shower stall on right side of back wall.
We tore out shower stall and wall to put in a round glass corner shower but found a Vent Pipe running up wall to roof, 12" from back wall. then takes a right 90 degrees turn 12" from ceiling then another 90 degree turn to ceiling, the horizontal length is only about 4". Looking at the plumbing under the floor the toilet drains to right and shower and sink link into that then it turns up and vents to ceiling.

So question is, can we add 90 degree turn in vent stack under floor, horizontal to wall, then 90 turn to go vertical to ceiling, then again 90 degree turn toward the hold in the ceiling. Or is there another suggestion.

This is a 1 story house, pier and beam, we will be removing flooring down to joist if needed to move plumbing.
...This is town of 500 people with no plumbers and no codes.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-14, 05:26 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
Just because you live in a small town that has no municipal plumbing code does not necessarily mean there is no code you are required to follow, the code may be at the county or even the state level. In fact, Texas DOES have a state plumbing code, the International Plumbing Code or IPC. I didn't take the time to determine if the entire IPC was adopted or if Texas has only partially adopted the code and added subsections of their own, that is for you to determine.

That stated, I am having trouble envisioning exactly what you have and what you want to accomplish. Some pictures and/or drawings may help. One thing I can state is that venting must always rise, it can never go down or create any kind of "pocket" where water might collect.

Last edited by Furd; 05-15-14 at 06:37 PM. Reason: correct misspelling
Old 05-15-14, 06:06 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 79 Posts
If I'm picturing it correctly, you should be able to do what you're looking to do. As Furd said, you need an upward slope.

The other reason to be sure to stick to codes is that it will help ensure that your plumbing system works as it's supposed to. There are lots of details in a dwv system that may not be apparent that can cause clogs, slow drains, gurgling, etc. Best to follow codes even if your locale doesn't.

Old 05-16-14, 09:05 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I know there are standard plumbing codes but we no one enforcing them so pretty much anything goes. We will keep the vent running as vertical as possible with minimal bends and keeping no water collecting areas. Thanks

I attached photo from original bath. The vent pipe runs up the center wall between the toilet and shower, 12'' from back wall. We are going to pull up the floor and try to put a 45 degree angle to head it to the back wall, then when we hit ceiling, angle it back to original hole in roof.

Thanks for help

Attached Images