Sound of water spraying in the wall of bathroom - what to do?

Old 05-18-14, 05:12 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Sound of water spraying in the wall of bathroom - what to do?

I live in a 3-storey house built in the 40s and there is a bathroom on the 3rd floor directly above the bathroom on the main floor. I can hear water running somewhere near the top of the main floor bathroom in the wall with the sink and toilet. Water is leaking down the wall behind the sink and dripping in the basement. I have no idea where to start. Unfortunately it's a long weekend here and we don't have much money to get a professional in at this time. Where do I begin? What am I looking for? How do I find it?? Please help me!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-14, 05:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 203 Posts
I'd shut the water off, there should be a valve where the water line enters the house. You'll probably have to cut a hole in the wall to find the leak and repair it.

Old 05-18-14, 06:38 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 487 Votes on 448 Posts
Houses of that age at least in the US did not have many shutoff valves other than the main one marksr mentioned. To get through the weekend try and look in the basement for the pipes that head upstairs to the 3rd floor bath. They may split off in the wall somewhere but if they branch off where they are accessible in the basement you could go to the home center and get what's needed to cap off those lines so you can turn the water back on to the rest of your house.

What are your pipes made of? copper, galvanized steel...?