Occasional shower leak

Old 05-19-14, 02:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Occasional shower leak

I have a second floor one piece fiberglass shower. About two months ago I noticed a small water stain on the ceiling below the shower. Not too big about the size of two quarters. I then recaulked the edge where shower meets the bathroom floor. No new water stain. We took a two-week vacation. Last night when I used the shower first time after the vacation, I noticed a new water stain this morning. Similar size as the old one at the same location. I have no idea what happened. Is there anything related to extended no-use period? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-14, 04:42 AM
Received 93 Votes on 85 Posts
Water travel along any seam. Since you sealed the original leak spot, it just traveled to the next spot. You need to find out where the leak is originating. It sounds like a leak from the faucet since it appears after using the shower. Shout be easier to fix than a bad pipe connection. Take off the faucet handles and chrome parts and look inside at the valve set. Hopefully you'll see the leak at the faucet valve set itself.

Old 05-19-14, 06:44 AM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Do you use a shower curtain or door? What type of flooring do you have outside the shower? Splash can sometimes get behind the shower handle face trim plate.

Do you have any pictures that you can share? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 05-19-14, 07:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I use shower curtain. It is clearly the water stain only appears after using shower and not every time. I used this shower again today and no new water stain. That's why I feel puzzled. I called a general contractor this morning, and was told the only way to know what happened is to open the ceiling below. Not sure if that's the best way to do since I didn't see water stain every time I take shower.

Old 05-19-14, 04:29 PM
Received 93 Votes on 85 Posts
Before open the ceiling remove the handles and chrome rosette and look at the valve set. try running the shower without the trimmings and see if you can detect a leak. With any luck you may not need to open the drywall ceiling.

Old 05-19-14, 05:29 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
I'm leaning toward a couple of errant shower curtain mishaps where you did not get a good seal between the curtain and the wall and had some oversplash that breached the curb. You did not mention the kind of flooring you have. I would monitor and be aware that curtains sometimes can be our nemesis. Place a towel on the floor against the curb for the next few shower rounds to see if it gets wet in any way during a normal shower.