pvc air compressor

Old 05-20-14, 03:51 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pvc air compressor

Hi guys

i have an ongoing project at the moment which requires me to make a pvc air compressor about 50 psi ,
similar to this
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/WZsuogONxeA/hqdefault.jpg

but i want to add an aquarium oxygen pump to fill the pvc with air,

the question is it possible to use an aquarium oxygen pump which output is about 2 or 3 psi to continually fill the pvc till it reaches 50 psi ?
(* i plan to install an air regulator as the gauge)

any suggestions ?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-14, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Nope...won't work. Max output of the little pump will be 3psi? Then that means max tank pressure would be 3 psi.

You'll need something more like a airbrush compressor. That may be whats shown in the pic.

Old 05-20-14, 10:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 229 Votes on 204 Posts
I agree, even if the pump did build up pressure past 3 psi it would likely stall out maybe even die. All of the small air brush type tankless compressors I've been around only put out 20-30 psi.

Old 05-20-14, 10:31 AM
J
Thank you for your answer.
is that so even if i put a one way valve for air from the pump to the pvc?

this is what i am planning to make but automated, thus the aquarium pump.

http://collections.infocollections.o...1064e/p30e.gif

any other suggestions on how to make it ?
thank you

Old 05-20-14, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator
Mark...I saw some that went up to 40...and even a few that hit 50...but I imagine they were pretty high end ($$$) units.

Jimz...maybe if we knew the application there would be other suggestions. The comp in your pic looks a lot like this one from HF...12V 100 PSI High Volume Air Compressor

Old 05-20-14, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator
Well, I don't know whether that pumps water or filters air. Looks like one of those wet dust filters for a shop vac. Doesn't seem related to your first pic at all.

Oh...and yes, even with a check valve, once the pressure in the tank equals the max output of the compressor...no more flow or increase in pressure.

Old 05-20-14, 11:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 229 Votes on 204 Posts
I forgot about the 12 volt pumps I've got 2 tankless compressors out in the barn and I doubt either one will continuously put out more than 25 psi .... but they are old. The ones I've used were mostly used to either spray texture repairs or spray a metal door. I never was impressed with them but they don't take up much room in the van. They do put out more psi when they are new but seem to get tired if you use them much. I tried airing up a flat tire once and while it did pump it up to go to a station, it would have quicker to just change it.

Old 05-20-14, 02:09 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 495 Votes on 455 Posts
I agree that it would help if you told us what you are trying to accomplish. Especially odd is that both of your linked photos seem unrelated to each other. And, what do you mean by saying you want to make it "automated"?

The first photo with the PVC pipe would be an accumulator or storage tank. It just holds what the compressor puts out. Useful if you have something that briefly takes a larger volume of air than what the compressor can provide.

Your second cartoon doesn't say much at all especially without knowing if the person is sucking or blowing. Either way it's just transferring the liquid from one container to another.

Old 05-20-14, 11:41 PM
J
i Apologize for being unclear to all of you.

What i am making is for a science project which usually looks like this http://collections.infocollections.o...1064e/p30e.gif

the girl blows air to a tube in a jar filled with liquid , and the air pushes the liquid out of the other tube end as in the picture.

what my plan is ,

1. make it so instead of a mouth, a machine blows out air with a push of a button

2. even if the liquid in the jar has thick viscosity , it will have no problem (for example water or chocolate fondue).
the only thing i have to adjust is the power of air the machine blow out.

that is why i was thinking to make
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/WZsuogONxeA/hqdefault.jpg

* all this would be in a installed in a small compartment so weight is also an issue

hope this clears the ongoing project of what i am working on.

thanks all for taking the time to read this

Last edited by jimz73; 05-20-14 at 11:58 PM.
Old 05-21-14, 07:30 AM
L
I would say that the small compressors you have in the bar would be sufficient to move the fluids out of the container. The pressure you need to move water is measured in inches of water column like a vacuum. 5# of air pressure is equal to 60" of water column. It would be easy to rig up a 12V switch to turn the pump on and off. A 12V motorcycle battery would give you more than enough power to run the 12V pump.

Old 05-21-14, 09:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 495 Votes on 455 Posts
Even a aquarium pump will generate enough pressure to move water from one container to the other if they are at about the same elevation. Moving a more viscous liquid will move more slowly and if using clear glass and some plastic containers so you can see the liquid moving you have to be careful about using too much pressure.

Depending on how long (time duration) you want to move the fluid you may not need a pump at all. A storage tank like in your first photo can provide a good number of demonstrations without needing to be refilled. Refilling the storage can be done with a bicycle pump, air compressor or even taken to a gas station. Again, be mindful of your air pressures. A home made PVC accumulator tank is not as strong & safe as a factory made and tested steel tank. And if using PVC allow the glue to set for a couple days to obtain maximum strength before pressurizing. This document has guidelines on how long to wait.