Outside Faucet Question

Old 05-20-14, 12:44 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outside Faucet Question

Hello,

I recently moved into a new place and am trying to figure out how to set up a hose outside. I know where the faucet is, but it looks nothing like what I'm used to seeing. The previous owners said they couldn't figure it out either, and never got it to work. Since my wife likes to do a little landscaping (and doesn't want her plants to dry out) and I like a green lawn, I would like to be able to have a working hose. I've included several images of the faucet in question.

So, my question is, what do I have to do to get this thing working? Any help would be greatly appreciated. (The images are thumbnails so they don't take up a ton of space. If you want to see the full size, click it

The faucet

This is the one on the left from the first picture.
It says Nidel Vacuum Breaker B64.2. 125 PSI 180F

This is the inside of the vacuum breaker.

This is the one on the right from the first picture.
All it says is Left Hand Thread

This is the inside of the one on the right side.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-14, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, thats a commercial style hose connection. It takes a special tool that goes in the right to turn it on. Kind of a T shaped wrench with a square opening on the end.

You see similar at fast food joints and strip mall buildings.

Old 05-20-14, 01:38 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 439 Posts
Looks like all you need is the key/knob. Just do a search online for "hose bib key" and you'll see them pop up and they are available at many home centers.

Old 05-20-14, 03:07 PM
K
Thanks guys. I'll have to see what I can find. The inside of the right side (where the key should go from what you've said) looks a bit stripped, so my main concern, if it still works, is stripping the plastic down so that it doesn't work at all. I'll have to check around town tomorrow to see if I can find a key that fits.

Old 05-20-14, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Likely someone was using pliers or something to turn it. I've never seen one with plastic like that...most I remember had a square brass piece.

Old 05-20-14, 05:38 PM
The last pic is part of the faucet that you turn the water on and off and requires a "key" in order to insert and turn the square part of the faucet, once turned on the water will come out of the vacuum breaker. I hope this helps

Old 05-21-14, 10:31 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 439 Posts
Your square valve shaft looks to be in good shape so a key should have no trouble gripping it. The biggest problem then is not loosing the key. On some you can drill a hole in the center of the key and screw into the hole in the center of the valve shaft to hold the knob on the faucet. Your hole may or may not be tapped but if you find the right screw it can thread itself in well enough to hold the knob in place. Otherwise but a couple knobs as they are cheap and easy to loose and lawnmowers have a magical ability to hit them and send it flying across the yard.