Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Plumbing and Piping
Reload this Page >

Lawn irrigation/sprinkler head problem - None of my zones function properly

Old 05-21-14, 03:11 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

So, I have plenty of pressure in my main irrigation supply line. I don't show any signs of leaks (no puddling of water in the lawn and the meter at the street doesn't run when irrigation is off. But, when I run my irrigation, none of the sprinkler heads pop up in any of the zones, although ALL do try. I do have three zones with mini paw sprinkler heads, even though they run, they do not have much force - and some don't run at all. Water just spews from around them. ALL of the zones are effected (I have 7 zones). I've had this system for 15 years without a problem. And it was designed so that I could run water in the house at the same time the irrigation is on. But now, when I test run the irrigation, I can run the house water and hardly any water comes out. Please note that my water pressure in the house remains normal unless irrigation is on (due to the current problem). Also, heads do try to pop up, but it "looks" as if there isn't enough pressure to get them fully engaged. However, when I open the end drain spigot of the irrigation supply line, there seems to be plenty of flow/pressure, although I haven't tested it with a pressure gage yet. The irrigation designer who is a pro can't figure it out. Neither can my plumber. Please help!

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/la...#ixzz32OHN6Mti

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-14, 06:42 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Why did you start a second thread?

Old 05-21-14, 06:46 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 85 Votes on 80 Posts
I assume you're having difficulties when only one zone is on at a time.

I would definitely check your pressure and GPM. Compare it against what the irrigation designer designed against.

Do you have a pressure reducing valve (PRV) where the water comes into the house?

Old 05-22-14, 06:46 AM
N
I have a pressure reducing valve just inside the house. The irrigation water supply line connects to my house water line before getting to the pressure reducing valve. And yes, I only run one zone at a time. I have actually looked to see if for some reason two zones are trying to run at one time. This is not occurring.

Old 05-22-14, 01:32 PM
N
Today, I bought a pressure gage and checked the supply line pressure. The pressure reads good (same as pressure where the cities line connects with the meter).

Old 05-22-14, 04:53 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
What do you call good, 60 PSI? Maybe the valves in the pit box aren't opening enough. I used to install sprinklers but someone else took care of the pit box. IIRC, there is some low voltage involved. Could that be part of the problem?

Old 05-24-14, 04:18 PM
W
Received 11 Votes on 9 Posts
Hi, I think you want check the pressure with the water not running get the reading then turn on one of the zones and read the pressure if there is a big differece I would suspect restricted flow. Check all the valves from the street to the house and look for a possible crushed pipe.Also ask a close neighbor
if they are having problems, you want to rule out the supplier.
Good Luck woodbutcher