Washer drains into main sewer line but backs up through floor drain

Old 05-21-14, 05:34 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Washer drains into main sewer line but backs up through floor drain

My washer drains into the sink that is attached to the main sewer line that goes under the cement floor of the basement. When it drains, the water backs up through a floor drain near the washer and comes up smelly. I used a snake through the side vent on the main sewer line but didn't hit any clogs. The sewer lines are city lines. What could be causing this?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-14, 06:34 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Are you sure that sink is connected to the main drain? Does anything else backup into the floor drain? If you follow the pipes from the kitchen, do they go into the same pipe? AFAIK, floor drains are not supposed to be connected to the main drain. However, I've heard of it happening.

Old 05-22-14, 12:43 AM
R
Yes i'm sure...the PVC pipe travels from under the sink directly to the pipe that comes up through the basement floor. As i let water into the sink, the floor drain slowly backs up. I've noticed that when i run hot water into the sink, the water that comes up through the drain is cold. Not sure if that means anything or not...

Old 05-22-14, 12:53 AM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
You obviously have a partial plugging in the main drain downstream of where the floor drain connects. You don't "see" hot water when you run the sink because it cools off before it backs up to the floor drain.

Old 05-22-14, 02:54 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I used a wet vac to clear a clog like that a few weeks ago. There was no floor drain so the water backed up into the sink next to the washing machine. Out came a green highlighter pen & a receipt from a store. The owner swore that it wasn't her pen.