Connecting to an old cast iron hub

Old 05-23-14, 06:05 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Connecting to an old cast iron hub

Hello,

I am drastically remodeling a bathroom in an 80+ year old home with cast iron sewer pipe. In the bathroom floor is 4" double tee (with 3" vent pipe coming out the top, one side services the bathroom I am working on and the other services the adjacent hall bath) on the main stack. Since space is at a premium I have removed the old fittings (lead and oakum type, and they were actually cracked) from the double Tee and now need to connect PVC in a way this is both compact and reliable. What is the best product to use to make this connection. For ease of install, my first choice would be to use a "donut" and stick the PVC directly into cast iron hub but will this provide a reliable leak proof seal for years to come? From a reliability perspective is better to insert a cast iron stub, using a "multi tite" type rubber seal and then attach to this with a proper band?

Thanks for any and all advice!

PS: should I wire wheel the inside of the hub to improve sealing?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-14, 06:08 AM
E
For some reason I can't edit my post now. When I said "From a reliability perspective is better to insert a cast iron stub, using a "multi tite" type rubber seal and then attach to this with a proper band?"

I meant to pose this as a question "From a reliability perspective is IT better to insert a cast iron stub, using a "multi tite" type rubber seal and then attach to this with a proper band?"

Thanks

Old 05-24-14, 03:31 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I've used those donuts. It wasn't always easy to make them work. I would have opted for a rubber coupling. Can you post some pics?

Old 05-25-14, 10:55 AM
E
I won't be at the jobsite until Tuesday so no pics for now . . . Basically, the two 4 inch (left and right) sides of the hub have had their fittings (leaded / oakum type) removed. The original fittings going into the t were street 45's (bends were wrong for the new plumbing) and were both cracked from apparent settling in the pipes; this is why I removed them and there is nothing now to connect a rubber coupling to. The options I see are using a donut and installing pvc directly into the hub, or installing a short stub of cast iron into the fitting with a muli tite bushing and then using a rubber coupling to connect the PVC to that. The donut is easier so that would be my preference but I want to make sure that is a viable long term solution that a plumbing professional might consider doing. That is my question in a nutshell . . .Can I trust a properly installed donut fitting?

Thanks

Old 05-25-14, 01:43 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
http://www.fernco.com/img/products/p...onuts-main.jpg

If that's the product that you plan to use, I did two of them some years ago. No one has called to tell me that either one is leaking. Sometimes it's hard to find one that's an exact fit. The most recent was about 4 years ago & the other more than that.