solder with no pipe movement

Old 05-30-14, 04:19 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
solder with no pipe movement

Basic (maybe) solder question...

I want to add a valve (or a fitting for that matter) to a horizontal piece of copper. However, there is no horizontal movement of the pipe. How do I cut it/spread it apart to insert the fitting or valve? I assume using a coupling somehow but what is the right technique?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-14, 04:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 940 Votes on 877 Posts
Cut the existing pipe a foot from the valve at the red line. When you replace the valve... use a new short piece of pipe and a stopless coupling. You'll be able to put the stopless coupling on the pipe ahead of time and then just slide it in place.

Name:  valve.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  6.1 KB

Old 05-30-14, 04:52 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thx...

How do you go about cleaning and fluxing the stopless coupling? Wont the coupling be soiled sliding it onto the pipe and then over to the fitting?

Should the short piece of pipe and the other pipe (joint under coupling) butt directly up against each other?

I also assume the process would be the same (ie stopless coupling) if you had no movement in vertical runs of pipe that would have elbows as well?

Old 05-30-14, 07:19 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 92 Votes on 86 Posts
You got it. The stopless/repair couplings allow you to slide the pipes into place, then slide the coupling over the connection. You'd sand and flux it as usual. Just sliding it one way then the other won't 'dirty' it enough to cause any problems.

You want the pipes to butt up against each other or have up to about a 1/4" gap. It may be good to mark each pipe an inch or two from the end, so you can be sure the coupling is centered.

Old 05-30-14, 09:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 940 Votes on 877 Posts
I also assume the process would be the same (ie stopless coupling) if you had no movement in vertical runs of pipe that would have elbows as well?
They are especially handy in walls where the pipes have no movement.

Keep the gap between the pipes inside the coupler as tight as possible to guard against leaking from miscentering of the coupling.