Custom tub drain?

Old 06-05-14, 08:03 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Custom tub drain?

I have a few rentals and the ABS tub drains (even when totally cleaned out or new) just don't drain very well or fast. It drives me crazy. To top it off Tenants get them plugged up with hair.

It seems the elbow at the base of the standard drain strainer is very tight. Is there any thing wrong with cutting the ABS, having it drop straight for 5-6", then a sweep and then connecting it with the tub over-flow at a lower point? Maybe even using 2" ABS after the tub strainer?

Would this work or any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

Old 06-06-14, 06:29 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I suppose anything is possible. If you clouge something together I'd love to see a picture. It won't work on a tub that has a lever on the overflow for the stopper but you could remove that and put a push down stopper directly on the drain.

I think the problem is that tubs sit on the floor. The drain has to make a sharp bend to minimize it's intrusion into the floor and joists. In some homes you can probably get away with taking up a lot of space below but it's probably a no-go on any bath on the second floor. Also don't forget how dropping the drain will affect the fall on the rest of the drain plumbing leading away from the tub.

With tenants I prefer to have them clog the tub right there close to the drain where it's easy to clear.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: