It won't go down

Old 03-11-01, 09:55 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I have an old home with schedule 30 drain pipe running from a toilet to the primary drain to my septic system. The toilet recently began to fail to drain properly after flushing. No "whirlpool", which means no flushing. I suspected my kids flushed a toy. Not so. I have snaked the line, which is clear, pumped the septic tank, which is fine, and cleaned out the toilet top to bottom. In doing so, I notice there is NO vent pipe for this toilet. Could that be causing my problem? If so, why would the toilet flush without problem for the nearly two years we have lived in "This Olde House"?

Help!

Old 03-11-01, 12:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

The main (primary) drain-waste-vent stack serves as the vent for the toilet.
It sounds like it may be partially clogged.
Go up on roof (carefully) above that bathroom, clear the stack pipe of any leaves or debris, and flush with a hose.
If it is badly clogged, you may have to snake it, too.
Should solve your problem.
Good Luck!

Old 03-11-01, 01:29 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi, Pour a bucket of water in the toilet. Does it flush? If no than a possible plug in toilet bowl, if yes than a possible plug betwwen tank and bowl to clear pour some muratic acid down the over flow pipe in the tank let it set about 3/4 an hour then flush or you can clear all the holes under the rim with a pocket screwdriver or a piece of wire.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 03-12-01, 12:02 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the toilet fails the bucket test then I suspect that there still may be an object in the toilet. Many times a snake will go past an object and you will never feel it. The quick test is this. If you can get plain water to flush correctly then send three wads of toilet paper in on three consecutive flushes. If it backs up on any of the flushes then I would consider pulling the toilet and looking up the underside for the culprit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: