Pressure relief valve leaking on hot water tank

Old 06-09-14, 05:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pressure relief valve leaking on hot water tank

Ours is leaking, quite a bit, ever since a plumber came to our house last week and replaced the whole house water shut off valve. I phoned and asked was this related, the plumber returned and said no, just a coincidence. He gave me an estimate to replace the pressure valve on the side of the hot water tank, saying we could "try" that, then if that didn't work, we could try replacing the whole tank. It's only 7 years old and we never had any issue with it or leaking from the valve until this guy worked on our plumbing last week.

Is there something messed up with the water pressure that is causing the dripping from the pressure relief valve? I am thinking that is the case rather than the valve being faulty. I just don't want to be taken to the cleaners with this.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-14, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Its either a faulty pressure reducing valve at the main if you have one, a faulty expansion tank at the water heater if there is one... You don't need a new heater... rarely its the relief valve itself........

Old 06-09-14, 06:30 PM
I checked and there isn't an expansion tank or pressure reducing valve. It's just the water line into the house, the meter and after a few turns, the line goes into the hot water tank, and other pipes to various parts of the house. The tank and the furnace are all stuffed into a tiny room in the garage, and there is no basement or crawl space, so nothing is there.

Any other ideas? And thanks for confirming my theory that changing the hot water tank and pressure relief valve won't solve the problem.

Old 06-09-14, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator
electric heater? Possibly faulty t stat and overheating. Is the water extremly hot? Could be faulty gas valve too..

No unit looks like this?

http://www.atlantadraincleaning.com/..._PRV_Valve.jpg

And exp tank can be anywhere...

Old 06-09-14, 08:26 PM
Thanks for your help lawrosa.. Heater is gas, water comes out of tap at 120, so not overheating. Def no pressure regulator like your photo. Only thing besides copper pipes is a piece labelled Red-White Toko, between the meter and the shut off valve. Attached are some photos.

Attached Images   
Old 06-09-14, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator
OK... Well Princeton has some high water pressure up there in areas...

Umm to rule out psi issue you need to check . get a gauge at the home store and check. Hooks to hose bib. That will rule that out if low..

Watts 3/4 in. Plastic Water Pressure Test Gauge-DP IWTG at The Home Depot

That device is just a strainer you show to filter sediment...

How old is the heater?

Old 06-09-14, 09:09 PM
It's seven years old. I'll try the pressure gauge - good idea.

Last edited by NJRach; 06-09-14 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-10-14, 04:33 PM
Update - the pressure gauge went from 42 psi to 100 when the water tank heated water. So definitely a pressure issue and the release valve was just doing its job.

Old 06-10-14, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
The relief valve is 150 psi... It may be weak..Should not be blowing off at 100 psi...

But you must have some kind of check valve IMO .. Maybe at the meter from the water company.. You need to call them and ask.. ( You said no prv right?)

If your psi is only 42 psi then ok. If its thermal expansion and there is a check valve then replace the relief valve and add an expansion tank to the system,....

100 psi but is may be going higher during nighttime???? Need to monitor it... Some have an extra gaugue to show the max psi was reached....

Old 06-10-14, 05:15 PM
Thanks again for your help lawrosa.

In my photo posted earlier in this thread, the corroded brass thing labelled Red White - could that be a check valve? I looked at the Red White valves and there is a check valve (about the fifth line down) that looks like
what I have.

Red-White - Check Valves

Good idea to check the night time water pressure - I'll try that.