Condo Water Leak

Old 06-11-14, 12:57 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Condo Water Leak

I live on the lower unit of a two story condo complex. Could an unsealed bathroom drain stopper from unit above result in a substantial water leak through my bathroom ceiling AC/heater vent for over two hours ? If not...what are the most likely causes of such a leak? Thank-You!

Old 06-14-14, 01:55 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
Hi Kevin and welcome to the forums.

I assume when you say a drain stopper you mean the thing that plugs the drain to allow you to fill the sink/tub? In that case, no, it shouldn't have any affect on a leak. Additionally, even if the drain side of the sink/tub/shower was leaking, you'd likely have a leak for the 5-20 minutes that's it's being used, but then it will stop. It sounds like a supply pipe above has a leak in it.

I know this thread is a few days old, so hopefully you've called the landlord/upper floor tenant.

Old 06-16-14, 10:56 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Zorfdt

Hi Zorfdt and thank-you for your welcome.

Yes, the owners that moved away (owners renting out to tenants above) suggested a bad drain stopper sealer as a possible cause of the water leak. Sounds far-fetched to me. The owners hired a management company and I need to go through them with owner’s approval. They brought out a plumber last week and he found no visible pipe to repair in either unit. They suggested opening walls in my unit (estimated six hours work, $1,000 cost). I am communicating with the owners via e-mail and told them this would be a last resort. The leak never resurfaced (9 days ago now). I tried re-creating the leak with the tenant above with no success. No recent word from owners that moved away or management company that owners hired. I am not working at all with the condo association because they told me I have to go through the management company.

I discovered that the lower unit across from me had a similar leak. Not sure when they had the leak. I found this out from another unit owner upper unit that had a plumber out the same exact day and approximate time I had my leak. They were having service on their air conditioner drainage I believe.

No idea how this all relates to my situation. The upper unit owner seems to think my water leak has something to do with the air conditioner service at the exact day and appromiate time I had my leak. The tenant above said he noticed some type of black soot on the bottom of the bath tub when he arrived home later that night the day of my leak.

Suggestions, comments, questions appreciated.

Kevin

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: