new vanity drain question


Old 06-13-14, 11:37 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 284
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
new vanity drain question

Im going to install a new vanity. Should I wait to screw it to the wall till after I hook up the drain?

Should the nipple coming out of the wall line up center with cabinet or drain hole in the sink?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-14, 12:19 PM
Gunguy45's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 21,119
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'd mount it solidly, then do the drain hookup. If a drop in sink, mount the faucet and tailpiece to the sink before installing it. If a moulded in sink, put the faucet on, but the tail piece could go on after.

Ideally, yes, the pipe should be on center or just slightly offset. That gives you the most useable space without the drain interfering. If it's way off, you may have to do some creative plumbing with the trap.
Old 06-13-14, 12:50 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 284
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When you say "slightly offset" how much is slightly?
Old 06-13-14, 05:03 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 284
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There is a 1.5" galvanized nipple coming out of the wall. What is the best way to attach the trap... my idea was either

1. female adapter screwed into nipple with Teflon tape. The glue a trap adapter to it.

2. Fernco banded coupling connecting to 1.5 pvc. Do I just need a 1.5x1.5 or do I need something different to fit the nipple and a standard piece of pvc?

3. Try to use a metal slip nut and washer (is washer metal?)....

what would be the best method, Im going to the hardware store in the morning so hopefully I can get a good idea (may buy all 3 options and return what I don't use).
Old 06-14-14, 03:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 4,787
Received 36 Votes on 35 Posts
#1 could work, but the threads on a galvanized nipple are rarely in good condition in my experience. I'd go with a Fernco adapter. You want one that goes from 1.5" pipe to 1.5" slip-pvc. I forget exactly what it's called, but it will be listed as a sink coupling or something like that. The OD of the galvanized is less than the sink trap PVC, so it will look like a reducer.

Make sure your pvc trap is long enough, I usually get an extension pipe for the vertical as well as horizontal section since I've learned if I don't have them, I'll need another trip to the store.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: