new vanity drain question

Old 06-13-14, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
new vanity drain question

Im going to install a new vanity. Should I wait to screw it to the wall till after I hook up the drain?

Should the nipple coming out of the wall line up center with cabinet or drain hole in the sink?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-14, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'd mount it solidly, then do the drain hookup. If a drop in sink, mount the faucet and tailpiece to the sink before installing it. If a moulded in sink, put the faucet on, but the tail piece could go on after.

Ideally, yes, the pipe should be on center or just slightly offset. That gives you the most useable space without the drain interfering. If it's way off, you may have to do some creative plumbing with the trap.

Old 06-13-14, 12:50 PM
When you say "slightly offset" how much is slightly?

Old 06-13-14, 05:03 PM
There is a 1.5" galvanized nipple coming out of the wall. What is the best way to attach the trap... my idea was either

1. female adapter screwed into nipple with Teflon tape. The glue a trap adapter to it.

2. Fernco banded coupling connecting to 1.5 pvc. Do I just need a 1.5x1.5 or do I need something different to fit the nipple and a standard piece of pvc?

3. Try to use a metal slip nut and washer (is washer metal?)....

what would be the best method, Im going to the hardware store in the morning so hopefully I can get a good idea (may buy all 3 options and return what I don't use).

Old 06-14-14, 03:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 36 Votes on 35 Posts
#1 could work, but the threads on a galvanized nipple are rarely in good condition in my experience. I'd go with a Fernco adapter. You want one that goes from 1.5" pipe to 1.5" slip-pvc. I forget exactly what it's called, but it will be listed as a sink coupling or something like that. The OD of the galvanized is less than the sink trap PVC, so it will look like a reducer.

Make sure your pvc trap is long enough, I usually get an extension pipe for the vertical as well as horizontal section since I've learned if I don't have them, I'll need another trip to the store.