Thoughts on using a braided water line for the dishwasher..

Old 06-21-14, 05:41 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on using a braided water line for the dishwasher..

We recently bought a new dishwasher. We currently have copper piping going from under the sink to the dishwasher. The connection on the dishwasher runs perpendicular to the door of the dishwasher.

With the new dishwasher, the connector is facing back (basically 90 degrees from how the old connector is oriented). Also, it sits back farther than the old one. Because of this, it would require cutting the pipe and probably bending it just a bit more as it passes through the cabinet between the "sink space" and "dishwasher space" (so that it aligns properly with the new connector without any "tension" on the connection).

I've read through the instructions twice and feel this is well within my abilities except for cutting and bending the pipe (especially the bending part). I'm looking at going with a braided water line to make it easy on myself.

This braided water line says it's for dishwashers and will last 10 years (although the instructions for the dishwasher say to replace a braided line every 5 years).

So, is there any real downside to switching to a braided water line, or should I stick with the copper piping (which would mean hiring a plumber)?

Thanks,

Andy

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-14, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 51 Posts
Use the braided if its easier and will save you money..

As a plumber I often remove the copper and add a braided line...

Old 06-21-14, 05:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
The Flood Safe braided line I have on my dishwasher saved the bacon once, so I recommend them.

Old 06-22-14, 04:05 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Braided it is then. Thanks for the advice!

Old 06-23-14, 05:15 AM
Received 194 Votes on 175 Posts
As the others said, braided is the only way to go. Might I add a few suggestions. Get a braided supply line long enough that you can pull out the DW far enough that you can easily service it. Of course you will need to (and I strongly suggest this) install a plug and outlet for power. When it comes to servicing the DW or fix the floor you can easily disconnect the DW without power or water disruption. Also they make a built-in safety valve in many of the DW supply lines.