Plumbing for new laundry sink and washing machine - what is this drain?!

Old 07-03-14, 04:38 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plumbing for new laundry sink and washing machine - what is this drain?!

Hi,

I'd like to install a new laundry sink and replace the lead drain line. In addition, I'd like to either flush the washing machine into the sink or make a standpipe for it. I'd prefer the cleanliness of the standpipe if possible. I have no venting available, so I'll need to use air admittance valves.

I am attaching some photos of the current layout and drain (the first 4 photos.) As you can see, the sink drains through a lead drain pipe (around 1.7-1.85" OD.) The base of the lead drain pipe is around 4.3" OD. What size do you think the drain is that runs under the concrete to the main drain (just to the left in the photo where the cleanout is to the main sewer line (~4.2" OD pipe)? I tried reaching into the cleanout to feel the size of the line coming in, but i couldn't feel anything as far as i could reach. I could feel a hole in the top of the main sewer line, but I couldn't tell how big it was.

My idea so far is to either

1) cut the lead pipe near the floor but leave enough room to couple it into a new pvc 1.5" drain pipe or maybe 2" drain pipe.

2) chip out all of the lead and see what is down in the concrete, which very well may be a 4.2" OD cast pipe, just like the one that is providing the cleanout to the left.

3) is it possible to use a donut to come out of the main cleanout with a wye fitting (one leg is a new cleanout and the second line is the drain for the sink/washer?

If I can get a 2" drain line in, I was hoping I could put in a 45 degree fitting, go back toward the back wall at an upward 45 degree angle to the back wall and then run it to the right behind the washer and up to a standpipe. I can tie the sink into that line as it goes up at an angle from the main drain in the floor. I would put air admittance valves behind my sink and behind my washer (next to the standpipe.) the other option is just to plumb in the sink with an air admittance valve and let the washing machine drain into the sink.

i was going to try to do something like the last two photos i've attached. If i put in a standpipe, I'd tie it into the pipe leading up the the air admittance valve for the sink in the last two photos.

does that make sense? i can try to draw something out to make it more clear!

Attached Images       
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-14, 06:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
I unfortunately can't help with the lead/cast iron connection... it's definitely not my area of expertise unless you can get a no-hub coupling on it.

As for the standpipe, it needs to have its own trap. You'll probably be best off using a double-tee, one side going to the sink, the other going to the laundry standpipe, each with it's own p-trap. Then straight up goes your vent to AAV as high as it can conveniently go.

Old 07-04-14, 01:51 PM
Thanks, Zorfdt, for the help. I think I see what you mean. Here's a question. Let's suppose I wanted to put a double-basin laundry sink on the right side of my washer and dryer. Would that be ok? It would be like 5' to the right of the drain, and I'd have to tie in the washer in going from the sink (on the right side) over to the washer and then come back from the wall to the drain. The reason is that I'd like to install a brewery to the right of the laundry area and share the sink with the laundry area and the brewery ( on the right)

Old 07-04-14, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Break up the cement and see is you can get to cast iron. If so remove the lead and convert to PVC from whatever cast iron is down there..

Then trench to the back wall and up...

Use a double fixture fitting only. Pipe for the sink and washer stand pipe. Cent will be for the AAV...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34167[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 07-04-14, 04:39 PM
How do you think the sink drain is connected into my main waste, cast iron line? How will I be able to connect the PVC to the main line? Also, what is the best way to chip out the cement without damaging the cast waste line?

The schematic you sent clarifies things a lot. You'd put in a waste line going down into the cement along the back wall behind the sink and have feed over under the cement and tie into the cast line where the old one did, right? Sounds like more than I planned for, but I can give it a try. The wife is going to kill me, but that's ok.

Old 07-04-14, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator
I use a small hilti hammer. Once you get 4" down then its all dirt. Chip away slowly... Expose around the lead pipe and follow it. It will lead to a cast iron Y...

You need to remove all the lead out of the hub..

Then you can use a donut..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxGjZ-0G8sg#t=303

Old 07-04-14, 05:33 PM
Cool, I see how to connect it. So, you don't think I might just remove the lead pipe and the base of the pipe and find a cast fitting right there? you think the lead goes under the cement to the cast iron main?

Old 07-04-14, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator
I dont know....!!! Maybe...

Looking at the pic again yes... probably... See if that is the hub sticking out of the cement...

Old 07-04-14, 05:59 PM
OK, i'l try taking out all of the lead and hope that the hub is there!!! if so, i can put in a donut and stuff in 2" pipe. keep your fingers crossed!

Old 07-04-14, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator
There is a clean out cap on the left I see... If that plug is removed and there are threads you can screw in a pvc male adapter... And if you pour water down your current drain and figure what way it all flows that lead line may be used as a vent...

There are a few possibilities...

Old 08-17-14, 04:54 AM
I took out the lead drain pipe from the old sink and took off the lead circle at the floor base. Underneath, I found that there is a hole leading down that then heads over and ties into the main sewer line under the cleanout somewhere. The hole is between 3.5-3.75" and is not a perfect circle! It is lead-lined all the way down to around 2-3" from the where it turns to go horizontal. I don't know if the lead is just inside of a concrete hole in the floor or if there is some cast next to it. It looks like it's just lead lining concrete. Is there a donut or something I can stick into a 3.5-3.75" hole and then put my 2" PVC into that?