leaky pipe/air tank question!

Old 03-12-01, 10:17 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry

I've got a leaky water supply pipe that goes to my pressurized air tank. The pipe comes from the well through the concrete wall and joins over a 't' fitting. The pipe is not metal, it's some sort of hard flexible plastic. I tried to gasket clamp this, but it leaked worse. The previous owners had a gasket and a hose clamp over it. The crack in the pipe is about 1/16th of an inch and about 1 1/2 inches long. I went to home depot to see if I could splice the pipe and prevent the expense of digging up the entire yard. They said there isn't a product like that out on the market. They instead sold me some plummers epoxy which I have applied. In order to get the pipe to stop leaking, I drained the water and air out of the air tank. My question is, do I turn the pump on first and let the water lines fill up and then add air to my tank? Or, pressurize the air tank first and then turn the pump on? Also, the air tank that I have is about 30-40 gallons in size, has no labels on it, and is not stamped with the maximum air pressure. How much air is safe to charge the tank with. The previous owners had told me to maintain pressure, add about 15 pounds of pressure every few months. Thanks for your help, I need kind of a quick answer, because I need water.

Old 03-13-01, 06:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Repair that leak on the suction side of your pump first, or you're going to continue to have problems.
You may be able to use plumber's epoxy or silicone caulk under a pipe clamp like this one (which is actually made for a galvanized pipe, but should work on the ABS or whatever you have).

(Photo courtesy of atozplumbing-Plumber 2000)

Pressurize the air tank first with a bicycle pump or portable air tank or compressor to about 30 psi (should be way below the max pressure of tank).
Then prime your pump, and let it build up full pressure.
Next adjust your pressure switch upward by turning the larger spring-loaded nut down to increase the cut-on and the smaller nut down to increase the cut-off pressure. Should be about 20 lbs apart.
Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: