Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Plumbing and Piping
Reload this Page >

Need to replace my pressure reducing valve (PRV)... how do I remove this one?

Need to replace my pressure reducing valve (PRV)... how do I remove this one?

Old 07-05-14, 06:04 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post Need to replace my pressure reducing valve (PRV)... how do I remove this one?

I need to replace my PRV since it is no longer functioning (tested water pressure with gauge and reading it is about ~100 PSI right now). I assume this is the original PRV when the house was built in 1997.

Watts no longer carries this model (N35B-DUSZ3), so I would need to order their newer model that has the same dimensions. From their website, it looks like the LFN45B series works.

My question is: how is my current PRV attached? Do I just screw off the unions on both ends? and it pops right out. Or do I need to sweat them off? Both?

According to the spec sheet of my current model, Watt's description is "LF N35BDU-S: Double Union - Solder union inlet and outlet". which is confusing to me....

I thought I'd ask before attempting to remove it and knowing which new one to order. Thanks in advance for any help!

Attached Images     
Old 07-05-14, 06:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If the new one has the same dimensions and is a double union, all you need to do is remove the nuts and put the new one in place and tighten the nuts on the new valve. No soldering necessary.

Old 07-08-14, 05:47 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks. From the looks of the top nut in the pic, it just doesn't look like it would screw off the PRV itself. Looks like one piece. But I'll give it a try anyways.

Old 07-08-14, 06:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Both the top and bottom nuts will unscrew off the valve and remain part of your piping. The new PRV will slide in place and you will connect the nuts to it. One nut in one direction, and the other in the opposite direction. Lefty loosey.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: