Garage floor drain problem

Old 07-06-14, 04:06 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Garage floor drain problem

Hi Guys,

I have a question about the drain for my garage floor. I bought my house a few years ago and had some work done in my front yard last year. Last month, I noticed a really mushy spot in my yard and wasn't sure what it was. Well, I finally got around to digging it up today and it appears that pvc for my garage floor drain was broken in this spot. The pipe is really clogged though and any water i run down the floor drain only comes out slowly over time. Here is a picture of the break:

Name:  drain1.jpg
Views: 1458
Size:  51.4 KB

Here is a picture showing the relation of the garage to the broken pipe.

Name:  drain2.jpg
Views: 1409
Size:  50.2 KB

This spot is about 30 feet from the road. There is a storm sewer that runs along the road and I assume this is where the drain used to run before being broken. The first thing I am going to do is have someone come snake the drain to make sure that it runs from the garage floor drain to this spot without any other breaks or obstructions. If that is the case, I guess I have a few options but wanted to see what you guys think.

1) I trench 30 feet down to the storm sewer and run new pvc to the storm sewer. (I had my yard completely regraded and new grass planted last year so it is just killing me to have to do this)

2) I dig down deeper and create a dry well in the location of the break (not sure if there are any issues with this).

The only water that runs down this drain is snow melt and when I clean off the garage floor. What do you guys think I should do?

Old 07-06-14, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Why not just find the other half of the break and reconnect it? It has to be there somewhere?

Old 07-06-14, 04:19 PM
D
It's not there anymore. This is the exact spot of the yard that I had regraded. It used to be a steep hill and I had it regraded more gradually down to the road. Whatever pipe used to be there is no more.

Old 07-06-14, 07:41 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
If it's just from your garage drain, you may just want to let it drain out to a small gravel area. There shouldn't be much water draining out of the garage. You don't need much gravel, it's really just to keep the grass from washing away. No real need to dig up a whole lot of your lawn for it.

I don't really like the idea of drywells. They are limited in their water absorption/storage, and dirt infiltration limits their use over time. Since you're on a hill, you're better off draining to open air. In my opinion at least

Old 07-08-14, 10:07 AM
D
So you're saying to just fill what I have there now with gravel and let it be? Don't put topsoil and grass over top?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: