wet hose bib replacement - no shutoff

Old 07-08-14, 05:58 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wet hose bib replacement - no shutoff

what if you can't shut off the water? I have a couple hose bibs leaking bad in an old old agricultural environment where the shut offs are either non-existent or unavailable. Wasting water like crazy. would like to replace a hose bib but wondering if there's an option to do so with it spouting like Old Faithful.

Old 07-08-14, 06:59 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
If you are on a well you can turn off power to the pump, bleed the pressure out of the system and repair the spigots. If on a municipal supply there is a shutoff at the water meter but I think California has a really high number of people connected without a meter and possibly no shutoff. In that case you can contact your city to see if they will install a shutoff in the main for you. Lastly, you can freeze the pipe. It's done in factories and power plants using a machine just for the job. A refrigerated collar is placed around the line and it's frozen which forms a plug. The DIY method is with dry ice packed around the pipe and wrapped with towels or blankets as insulation.

Old 07-15-14, 02:34 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I've done hose bibbs hot and it's possible, you just get wet. Make sure the replacement is open so the water can flow through.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: