dehumidifier drain into PVC drain?

Old 07-08-14, 10:18 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
dehumidifier drain into PVC drain?

I have a large basement in which our dehumidifier pulls a lot of moisture out of, causing us to have to empty the bucket several times a day in the summer, a little less in winter, but multiple times nonetheless. The long term goal is to get a more expensive "whole house" one's that can drain directly outside. But that is down the road and I need an interim solution to having to empty the bucket so much. We do have one drain, but its way in the corner in the utility room and would not be very practical to run a hose that far across the floor as it is not close to where we place the dehumidifier and moving it would lessen its effectiveness. We do however, have a 2" PVC drain coming from the main floor above (kitchen drain) that runs down the basement wall and goes directly into the concrete. Is it possible to get some sort of connection or adapter so I can attach the hose directly to this drain? Any reason why I would not want to do this?

Old 07-08-14, 02:37 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Most communities frown on discharging ground water into sanitary sewers. It's not to code and if caught you will most likely be fined. If your basement is not sectioned off then moving the dehumidifier closer won't affect the effectiveness very much. Air is fluid and will equalize almost instantly if only one end is being dried. It does not need to be centrally located. However if partitions are there then that will change.

Old 07-08-14, 04:03 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks for the reply. I failed to mention the drain goes to a private septic, versus city sewer. does that change the code or anything?

Old 07-08-14, 06:50 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
No I don't think so. But you should check with your local community. But another concern is exceeding the capacity of the septic tank system. If you have as much water flowing in to it as I think you have you may screw up the system. I'm not very knowledgeable about septic systems so others here may have better info.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: