Need help tying a shower into a toilet drain line

Old 07-15-14, 01:35 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am currently roughing in a bathroom. The toilet flange is 5 feet from the main stack. The stack is the only vent for the toilet. The toilet waste line is 3" and the stack is 3". I want to install a shower upstream from the toilet, (so the shower is the farthest fixture from the stack). I want to install a 2" trap and 2" waste line for the shower, tying into the 3" toilet waste line using a sanitary tee with a 3" to 2" reducer to connect the 2" shower line to the 3" toilet line. The shower trap will be about 8 feet from the stack (it's a small bathroom). My question is, do I need to add a vent for the shower, or can I use the 3" waste line I'm connecting to as my wet vent. I was told that I can do this, but my concern is the toilet pulling water out of the shower's trap.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pl...#ixzz37ZTwE17j

Old 07-15-14, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
You need to vent the shower arm. Is the sink vented? Where does the sink tie into.

Old 07-15-14, 03:39 PM
H
Thank you for your response. The sink is going to be across the room next to the stack.

stack=========toilet===========shower
| |
| =====proposed vent pipe===
|
sink

Could I tie into the top of the shower drain pipe and run a 1 1/2" or 2" horizontal line parallel to the drain pipe back to the stack and tie in there?

Old 07-15-14, 03:44 PM
H
My diagram got screwed up. Here it is again.

stack========toilet=============shower
| |
| =======proposed vent=======
|
sink

Hopefully, this diagram sends properly.

Old 07-15-14, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator
Hope this makes sense...

This is the easiest way...

Name:  ventqqqqqq.jpg
Views: 11140
Size:  11.0 KB

Old 07-15-14, 05:01 PM
H
So, are you saying that I tie the shower drain downstream from the toilet and use the sink drain as a wet vent for the shower?

Old 07-15-14, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator
So, are you saying that I tie the shower drain downstream from the toilet and use the sink drain as a wet vent for the shower?
Yes... But its not a wet vent...

Old 07-15-14, 07:19 PM
H
I really do appreciate your help! You have to understand that this is an old farmhouse with some screwy plumbing.
I understand what you are conveying, but if I take the sink out of the equation, could I go with the set up I originally posted, but just add a vent pipe in the shower drain line somewhere between the shower trap and the sanitary tee?
To reiterate my original idea, the shower drain would run in a straight line to a sanitary tee (connecting 12" of pipe to the closet bend) and continue in a straight line on to the stack. I realize that your diagram is probably easier, but would my idea work?

Old 07-15-14, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator
Can you draw some kind of pic to show me?

You tie the shower into the toiler using a Y not a tee.

Yes you need to vent the shower arm. The vent must tie into the stack or sink vent 3ft above the flood plane of the sink...

Old 07-15-14, 08:58 PM
H
Here is the proposed bathroom drain layout (shown without any venting for the shower arm). Hopefully, the attachment feature worked.

Name:  piping 12345.jpg
Views: 15515
Size:  24.5 KB

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
drain setup.pdf (7.6 KB, 416 views)

Last edited by lawrosa; 07-15-14 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Added pic from PDF.....
Old 07-15-14, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator
Are you using an ell like this for the toilet with a 2" inlet??

That is not a san tee.. ( You cannot use a san tee there. )

And if so you will need to add a Y to the 2" shower line and run a vent..

If you are not getting an ell like that then you must use a 3x2x3 Y. With a st 45 put on the 3" toilet side..

Like this but with 2" out the back.. ( I normally just install a reducer bushing)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34849[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 07-16-14, 07:32 AM
H
A picture speaks a thousand words!
Actually, I was originally going to use a 3" san tee with a reducer bushing for the 2" side, but then decided to change it to a 3" el with a 2" out the back (like you're showing). Sorry, I guess I misspoke when I called it a san tee.

I've attached a modified drawing with the "Y" installed, as you've recommended. Is this how the "Y" would be positioned? (ignore the sanitary tee label for the toilet junction).

Attached Images
drain with Y.pdf (8.2 KB, 838 views)
Old 07-16-14, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator
Yes that is how the Y goes for the shower vent.. Now the question is where are you going to tie that into?

It must tie in 3 ft above the sinks flood plane.. ( This is why I asked how the sink was vented)

Additionally if you tie into the stack, does anything drain into the stack from above? If your gutting the bath IMO its just easier to put the sink in the equation...

But again, I dont know whats there. You are only showing me so much..

Old 07-16-14, 09:11 AM
H
I would love to attach my plan, but unfortunately I'm limited to 50k for attachments, and it's about 140k.

This bathroom is going to be on the second floor, with nothing draining into the stack from above. I understand, and fully appreciate, your trying to make this as easy as possible! I may end up using your initial recommendation, I'm just considering all of my options.

I am going to be building an interior wall on one side of the shower for the length of the room. The one existing side and back side of the shower are exterior walls, so this new wall will be where my supplies and valve will go. I would either run the shower venting to this new wall and take it back around to the stack, or, I was hoping I could run the vent line under the floor by looping it around (parallel to the drain line) and then bring it up to tie into the stack. The second option would be the easiest, if viable. Please see my attachment with the under the floor option. Thanks again for all of your help!

Attached Images
New vent.pdf (9.9 KB, 708 views)
Old 07-16-14, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator
Bring the vent in the new wall and up into the attic if you have one.. Then tie to the stack up there, or go right out through the roof...

Old 07-16-14, 07:19 PM
H
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your patience and help with my drain configuration issue. I finally figured out how to attach my bathroom layout within the 50k attachment limit, so here it is.

I took your original drain layout suggestion and superimposed it over my floor plan. Will you tell me if I'm correct in my interpretation of your suggested layout? I wasn't clear on the sink arm of your drawing, but if this is correct, you are right, this would be a much easier way to do it.

Thanks again.

Attached Images
bathroom drain layout.pdf (15.2 KB, 1193 views)
Old 07-16-14, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator
Yes thats it.. Make sure you use Y's everywhere. Try to roll the Y's up some and dont keep them on the flat. ( Its hard when pipes are in floor. Not room to roll up and get pitch)

The vent pipe above the toilet trap can be 1 1/2"... But no problem with 2"

The tie in of the vent to the stack can be a san tee upside down if you know what I mean. But inspectors now look for a Y there also...( Up to you...)

Looks good...

FYI everything works of the toilet line in regards to pitch.. Start as low as you can from the stack to the toilet. Pitch 1/8" per ft if you need too...

Then when you connect the Y's you roll them an 1/8" on the bull end of the Y... This will get you a lot of room to work with...

This shows a tee but I am just showing what the run is and bull in my description above. Works the same for a Y... ( May be called different IDK...LOL)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34901[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 07-16-14, 09:35 PM
H
Thanks Mike for all of your help!

The floor opening is fairly deep (it's an addition over an existing part of the house), so I shouldn't have a problem rolling up the Y's a bit. If I have any other questions, I'll be back, but I think I should be good to go--you nailed it! This is the layout I'm going to use.

Again, THANK YOU! for your help.

Steve

Old 07-16-14, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator
Thanks... Post back.. Dont be a stranger...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: