Help with sewer back up with heavy rains.

Old 07-16-14, 12:26 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with sewer back up with heavy rains.

Hello all,
I live in the Chicago burbs. Unfortunately the 6in sewer lines aren't enough to deal with the heavy rain. I have lived there for three years and have gotten sewer back up once a year. Its the whole neighborhood not just my house.I have a back-flow valve in my basement. But that was there when I bought it. After the first year and first flood, I opened it up and the top and flapper looked very rusty. I took the top and the flapper to a friend of of mine at a machine shop. He fabricated me new pieces.

This didn't help. The next year I flooded again. I found the other part of my problem was that the sub pump was routed back into the sewer instead of going out side. So it must be pushing the water back against the flapper opening it up allowing the water in. So I drilled a hole and ran the pvc out of the house.

Year three flood again this year. Now I don't know what to do. What is the best option. My basement is finished so if I replace the valve with a new one that will cost me a ton of extra money to re ceramic the basement. The chances of finding identical tile are probably impossible. And if I spend that money am I guaranteed it will work? Since the one I have now doesn't work. I heard there are ones with a plate that you can manually turn to cutoff the water. Is there any thing else I can do? I live in a perpetual state of fear every time it rains hard.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 07-16-14, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
This is the best in the industry IMO.. Main line..

Fullport Backwater Valve - Mainline

Here is a reseller with lots of info..

Mainline Backwater Valves and backflow prevention valves

I would absolutely replace... 100%

Old 07-20-14, 05:47 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 276 Upvotes on 252 Posts
Where on the basement floor does the sewage first back up?

One problem with drain backwater valves is that they may be held ajar by solid waste. You may need a gate valve that you close manually to close off the sewer connection, and of course you may not use toilets or other drains during that period of time.

For a sewer backup from a floor drain, you might excavate a pit there and put a walkable cover on it. Put a macerating pump in that pit and in the event of a sewer backup, pump the sewage out to the yard. You still need a backwater valve; the pit and pump just get rid of the sewage faster than it comes in through a flapper not forming a perfect seal.

When the sewer is full, it did not accept the sump pump water and a sump pump connected to the sewer lacking a loose fit joint somewhere along the way may overload and overheat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: