Compression type fitting for copper to PVC?

Old 07-16-14, 08:01 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Compression type fitting for copper to PVC?

Hello!

1" PVC pipe coming from the water company into my house. 1" copper piping inside the house at the first component (regulator). Tried a Sharkbite 1" connector, but they don't work on PVC (OD is too small). Anyone know of any connector (non-solder) that would work and a source for it?

I appreciate your help!

Regards,

Leaning

Old 07-16-14, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Cut and glue a male or female 1" adapter on the pvc coming in. Then convert from there.. With the sharkbite threaded on the pvc then you can just insert the 1" copper.. Hope this helps...

Then install shark bite adapter...

Old 07-16-14, 09:24 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lawrosa,

I appreciate your help, but I need it dumbed down a bit. Here's the current setup:

1) 1" PVC pipe coming through wall.
2) 1" PVC elbow
3) 1" PVC pipe section (cut off end)

4) 1" copper pipe (cut off end)
5) 1" male sharkbite (threaded)
6) 1" regulator inlet
7) regulator

So, I need to connect 3 to 4.

I considered using a 1" PVC to CPVC adapter, and then using the 1" sharkbite to connect 1" CPVC to copper, but I can't find a source for that adapter (3/4" yes, 1" no)

Hope the setup gives a better picture.

(I just thought about your idea, but there is much controversy AFA male PVC into female brass, or female PVC into male brass (because of different rates of thermal expansion leading to leakage, etc.) That's why I thought maybe there was a sharkbite-esque adapter for copper to PVC. Which would you recommend?)

Regards,

Leaning

Old 07-16-14, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
3) 1" PVC pipe section (cut off end)
Glue a pvc female adapter on the end... ( Pic #2)

Oh wait.....

(because of different rates of thermal expansion leading to leakage, etc.) That's why I thought maybe there was a shark bite-esque adapter for copper to PVC. Which would you recommend?)
I don't recommend any shark-bites...

I would thread a copper male adapter in the pvc adapter after I glues one on... with a solders stub out. Then sweat it with a coupling...

No difference in a brass fitting, plus its cold water right? Don't worry about t expansion...

There is no fitting that I know of for pvc to ??? except an adapter.. Then you can get anything with threads to adapt...( For water.. Waste lines are a different story)

Old 07-18-14, 09:43 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
(I just thought about your idea, but there is much controversy AFA male PVC into female brass, or female PVC into male brass (because of different rates of thermal expansion leading to leakage, etc.) That's why I thought maybe there was a sharkbite-esque adapter for copper to PVC. Which would you recommend?)
I haven't heard of much controversy about connecting dis-similar pipes via a m/f connection. You typically want to use a male threaded on the softer material (PVC) and female on the copper. If it's the other way around, it's much easier to crack a PVC female adapter, but it would happen right away, not a long-term issue.

I always use 2-3 wraps of teflon tape followed by a bit of PVC compatible pipe dope to ensure the connection is secure. It may be a bit overkill, but it works for me.

Regardless of whether you use a SharkBite or soldered copper, you're still going to need to use a threaded connection to convert PVC to copper.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: