PVC and vinyl hosing question:

Old 07-23-14, 03:06 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
PVC and vinyl hosing question:

Hello! First time poster here. I am unsure if this is the correct spot to post this but I feel like I could get the most help from this section.

I recently built a canister filter for my turtle tank, made from a 4 inch diameter, 2 foot PVC pipe. I have all the appropriate bulkheads, made my fittings and whatnot watertight, and yet i cannot get the pump to intake water for more than a few minutes.

The water pump I'm using is the Eheim 1048 model. So I suppose my question is: Is the PVC section to tall for the intake to function properly? Or will I just need a stronger pump to push/pull the water?

Hopefully the pictures I uploaded will be shown. If so, the water is supposed to be sucked into the top tubing, through the PVC filter where there is biological and mechanical filter media. Then, it should be pulled out the side, through the ball valve, then the pump itself, and finally pushed out the top of the pump into the tank, all nice and clean.

Attached Images   
Old 07-23-14, 04:36 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Just an observation, the top loop on the intake tube looks like it would require a heavy duty motor to pull the water plus if any air gets in there, it will stop.

Old 07-23-14, 04:57 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
You are running the pump in the wrong direction. What little power it has is to push water. It cannot suck or draw water. Any restriction must be on it's output side. Re-plumb it so the water is sucked out of the tank through the pump then through your filter and back into the tank.

Old 07-23-14, 08:33 PM
G
Awesome. Thanks for the replies. I'll try reversing the setup, and if that doesn't do the trick I'll check out a stronger pump, which may be for the best anyway. Thanks again!

This is my first DIY project hehe so I'm glad y'all are helpful.

Old 07-24-14, 06:06 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
The pump you've got does not generate much pressure. Great for running a fountain or creating a current but it can't stand much back pressure. If it does not work then pick a pump with a higher head pressure capability.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: