I need advice on installing a service line

Old 07-24-14, 09:46 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I need advice on installing a service line

I need advice on installing a service line from the meter to the house. I’ve had some experience (i.e. ongoing trouble) with a couple of well systems, but never tapped into a city water meter or had to use so much pipe. I know there are calculations and standards for this kind of thing. I have a trencher and several hundred feet of the pipe described below. This is a low (no) budget project, so, if possible, I really need to use the pipe I already have.

PIPE: Black plastic with the following markings; 1 ¼”, 160 PSI @ 23º C., Bama Line, NSF ???, PF3408, ASTM D2239. Total length from the meter to the house is approximately 200 ft. The pipe is in 20-40 ft. sections.

HOUSE: 1 standard bathroom (toilet, sink, and tub w/shower), 30 gallon water heater, 1 kitchen sink, 1 ice maker, 1 washing machine, and 1 outside faucet.

HILL: Meter is approximately 40-50 ft. above ground level of the house. Approximately 144 ft. of the service line will curve down hill around rocks and trees. Then there is a 10-12 ft. vertical drop that will need 20-24 ft. of pipe due to the angle of the drop. It is 10 ft. from the bottom of the hill to the front of the house. It’s another 24 ft. to the back of the house where the supply line will connect to the existing plumbing.

Do I have the right kind of pipe? Is it the correct diameter? Will I have any problems using several sections of pipe as opposed to one continuous pipe? Am I missing anything about installing a service line? Any advice or comments will be appreciated.

Attached Images  
Old 07-25-14, 10:07 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
You have a few things going in your favor. Since the house is downhill of the service, you won't have low pressure concerns that you might have if it was the other way around. Also, the pipe you have is NSF rated, which basically means it's allowable for carrying potable water.

The downsides of short pipe lengths is that you're going to have a number of connections, which is obviously more work, but also more places for a leak to occur. In a perfect world, you'd want to run it with one continuous pipe (or at least 2 100' lengths). But technically, there should be nothing too wrong with that.

You may need a PRV at your house depending on the pressure at your house.

I don't have the tables to tell you whether you have the correct size pipe, but it will probably be fine - especially considering you don't have a lot of usage planned.

I'm sure others will be around to give some more feedback too!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: